Chapter 7

The agency jumped straight into action cordoning off the area to make sure no one came in and disturbed the evidence. They usually say there was an accident or gas leak, but they said there was murder this time. That tells you the stakes are high in this case. I decide to pass the time by retracing my steps and helping the forensic team find more evidence. I was lying on the couch, there was a crash in the kitchen, I ran in and found Shawn unconscious. I checked on Shawn, chased and fought Julian. What am I missing? I am outside walking around trying to find clues. Just one thing that will help me track him down. And that's when I spot it, a sample of gravel that doesn't belong in the grass. I quickly collect the sample and put it in my back pocket. I continue to search for more clues when Shawn comes running out of the house.

"Help me look!" He shouts.

"Look for what?"  He reaches where I am standing and squats down to look.

"Look for what?" I repeat.

"The team found a gravel sample in the kitchen, but they don't have enough to test it, so we need to see if we can find more out here. Which way did he go from the house?" He asks. I point toward the far right of the tree line heading into the forest. Farthest I can point from where I am standing. I want to follow this lead. When I get my hands on Julian, he'll wish he never messed with me and my family. Shawn runs to the edge of the tree line and starts searching for any evidence of the gravel. While he isn't looking, I collect the rest of the gravel off of the ground and stuff it into my pockets. I then pretend to look for more, working my way towards Shawn, meeting him in the middle.

"Did you find any?" he asks hopefully. I shake my head no and watch as the hope vanishes from his eyes.

"I guess it was wishful thinking." He pecks a kiss on my cheek and trudges his way back to the cabin. I hate to see him discouraged, but I have to be the one to bring Julian in. I need to know what he knows about me. What does he want from my family? The only way to protect them is to catch him myself. I walk back to the cabin and watch as the forensic team tries to find anything that can lead us to Julian and where he might be hiding. My phone starts to ring to the tune of "you've got a friend in me" and Elly's picture flashes across the screen. 

"Hello," I answer.

"Where are you?" She asks into the phone.

"Where am I? What do you mean? I'm at the cabin with Shawn. Where else would I be?" I ask confused. Shawn looks at me with a puzzled look and guides everyone out of the room so that I can have a private discussion.

"What do you mean, where else would you be? You promised you would help me pick out a new outfit for my date tomorrow. Remember? I'm standing here waiting for you in the town square." 

"Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry. I completely forgot." I hear Elly sign and chuckle under her breath.

"Can you make it in 10 minutes?" she asks defeated.

"I can make it in 9."She laughs, and we say our goodbyes. I run to the front and grab my purse.

"What's wrong?" Shawn asks concerned. I turn around and face him confused.

"Nothing. I was supposed to meet Elly two hours ago to help her find an outfit for her date tomorrow. With the attack and the crime scene, I forgot that she was waiting for me. She doesn't like being out in public alone, so I need to hurry. Can I borrow your truck?" I plead with puppy dog eyes. Shawn chuckles under his breath.

"What do I get in return?" he asks slyly. I lean on my tiptoes and peck a kiss on his cheek, grab the keys from his hand, and run out the door.

"BE CAREFUL! I JUST GOT HER SERVICED!" Shawn yells from behind me. I jump into the front seat and start the engine. While driving, my mind wanders towards Julian. What does he want? Every corner I turn, I see him. The way he looks at me and talks to me makes me wonder if there is a piece of the puzzle that I am missing. He acts as he knows me, but I should know him from before now if he knows me.  All of a sudden, Shawn's truck hits something hard. I slam on the brakes and put the vehicle in park. I don't move petrified I hit an animal or person. After a few minutes pass, I gather the strength to get out of the car and see who or what I hit. There is a bike wedged under the truck, but no person. I didn't see anyone walk or crawl away. I pull the bike out from under the truck and my heart stops. I recognize the pale pink and baby blue design. This is Elly's bike.