Ch. 1

•And a Bottle of Bailey's•

(Niall Horan/One Direction fanfic)

Ch. 1: Transatlantic Crossing

"Got any aspirin?" I asked the flight attendant, sipping my ginger ale.

"Yes, in the back. Would you like some water to take it with?" She replied, sounding fakely sweet.

"Sure." I muttered, closing my eyes. I adjusted the pillow behind my head, attempting to make myself comfortable.

"Well, I'll just be right back with that, then." She stated flatly, her false cheerfulness gone. I nodded.

She went off, heading towards the front of the plane, shimmying her hips as she did. I rolled my eyes.

It was a long flight to London, and my hangover was determined not to fade until we safely landed. I moaned quietly as another wave of pain surged through my head.

One of my best friend's nineteenth birthday had been the night before, and my friends had persuaded me to go to Canada and get wasted, despite the fact that I had an extremely early flight the next morning. It'd been Lily's birthday, and she was the youngest of our group of friends, so we were finally all nineteen, which meant it was the perfect time to go to Canada. Reilly, another of my closest friends, had pleaded with me that we needed one last shebang all together before I left for the U.K., and she had somehow convinced me.

Now, dealing with my pulsing headache, I was slowly regretting the amount of drinking I'd done. It had been fun, though. I sighed loudly, and noticed the flight attendant sashaying down the aisle.

"Here's your aspirin, miss." I downed the pills and water in a swift movement, mumbling a bitter 'thanks' to the attendant who nodded and then waddled away.

When the plane leveled, I'd happily turned my phone on as soon as the light for electronics went on, wanting to have some distraction from the popping of my ears and the pounding in my head.

My phone went off, vibrating in my pocket, and I grabbed it to see what was happening.

Hey... It's ReiRei... Sup?

How's your head, babe?

-Reilly

I read her text and smiled. Reilly always drank more than me, so I knew her hangover had to be ten times worse than mine. This was a comforting thought, since it was her fault that I had a hangover that day.

Great. Yours? My flight's

SOOOO long.... I'm dying!

-Rachel

I texted back, rubbing my tired eyes. I reclined my seat a little and began a game of Temple Run. It was a good time-passer.

"Hello, this is your captain speaking. We'll be beginning our descent in just a few minutes now, so all electronic devices must be turned off, passengers must remain seated in an upright position, and beverage service is closed. We will touchdown at London's Heathrow airport in about twenty-five minutes. Thank you for flying Delta Air, enjoy the rest of your flight." The pilot had a gravelly voice, and sounded happy in a way that one only is after a cup of coffee. I couldn't wait to get to the airport, I was needing some coffee for myself.

My head was feeling better and my ears had finally stopped popping, so I was in a much better mood. I pulled open the shade on my window. I could see all of London and the surrounding area from this height. I took a moment to absorb it all.

I was finally feeling the excitement of what lie ahead of me. For the next eight months I'd be traveling around Europe, while the rest of my friends enrolled in college like boring little normal people. I had all the stops mapped out, all the places I'd be staying. I had so much to see.

Yet, there were many things I'd see that I wasn't expecting at all.