Ch. 9

Ch. 9: Fans

After enjoying a delicious dessert at the restaurant, Niall and I wandered the streets while talking. We took a cab back to the hotel together, and parted ways when I got out of the elevator on my floor. He hugged me, then made a peace sign as the elevator doors closed behind me. I laughed softly to myself.

I went back to my room, took off my makeup, and abruptly passed out asleep in bed.

• • • • •

Waking up, still in my clothes from the night before, I felt happy. Content with everything.

I got up, rolling from my bed onto the floor, and headed into the bathroom. I showered, waking up in the steam, then wrapped in a towel, swaying to a song in my head as I walked back out.

"I could watch you for a lifetime, you're my favorite movie." I sang, brushing my hair in front of the floor length mirror that leaned against the wall.

"A thousand endings you mean everything to m-" I stopped singing. A loud pounding was coming from my door and I wondered who it was.

"Let me in! Hurry! Rachel!" I couldn't quite make out who's voice it was through the thick wooden door.

"Who is it?" I heard an exasperated sigh.

"Niall! Let me in!" I wasn't planning on letting him in, being that I was only wearing a towel, but out in the hall somewhere I heard a girl yell 'There he is!' followed by at least a dozen screams. I flung the door open, yanked Niall in by his elbow, and slammed it shut while the fan-hoard was still a few feet away. I made sure all the locks were locked, then turned to face Niall. I didn't meet his eyes.

"I'm gonna get some clothes and get dressed in the bathroom, and then you have to explain all this. Okay?" He nodded. I picked some stuff up from my suitcase and practically sprinted to the bathroom. Once safely inside, I dropped the towel.

I dressed in an oversized turquoise sweater, white skinny jeans, a brown leather jacket, turquoise Converse hightops, and a white knit beanie. I did light makeup, blow dried my hair, and braided it into one long side braid.

I walked into the main part of the room, flopping onto the bed. Niall sat on the other side, flipping through my drawing book.

"Gimme that! Don't go snooping through my stuff, bad Niall!" I snatched the book and made the 'shame' motion with my hands.

"You're an amazing artist. You're stuff is fantastic!" He said brightly, looking me right in the eyes.

"Thanks. It's just some doodles and sketches and stuff..." I muttered feeling kinda 'aw shucks'-like, and blushing an intense fuchsia.

"It's great. Really." I smiled.

"So, why were screaming chicks chasing you through the hotel? I mean, besides the fact that you're the one, the only Niall Horan." He chuckled, rolling his eyes.

"Somehow our location got leaked and the guys are currently stuck in the room until security can clear the premises. I, when the ladies busted in, was at the desk, so I had to run. Now, here I am." I shook my head, laughing at the ridiculousness of some fans.

"Poor boys. I wouldn't wanna be trapped in a room." I responded, frowning.

"Uhm, Rachel, we are kind of stuck in here, too, just like them." I groaned, mushing a pillow to my face. Then an idea came to me.

"Not if I can help it." I wandered over to the window and yanked it open. Niall raised a brow. I looked below the sill and found an apartment-type fire escape stair. I gestured for him to follow me.

We climbed down the stairwell, our sneakers thumping as we hit the pavement. I suddenly had the urge to crack up, but I held it in. Instead, I made a bold move and grabbed Niall by the hand. He seemed kind of shocked, and I smirked mischievously.

We made our way to the tube and rode down to a dock, where we caught a ferry that'd tour the Thames for the afternoon. On board, we chatted about our homes.

"Michigan is that state that no one really cares about. It's got in between weather and average sights. It's no big 'thang'." I said, dismissing my homeland with a wave of my hand.

"I'm all patriotic, I guess. I love Ireland. It's less grey than England, and less psychotic than the rest of the world. It's beautiful. Honestly, I'd say it's the best place on earth." I looked at him, really listening. He smiled.

We talked for a long time, never once actually listening as the tour guide pointed things out. Eventually, Niall fell asleep against the boat window. I pulled out my sketch pad and drew him. He cheek was slightly smushed by the windowsill, his eyelashes glinted in the sunlight that wafted through the window, his lips were resting in a peaceful half-smile, and his hair ruffled in the light draft that breezed through.

When he woke up and saw the sketch pad, he demanded to see what I'd been drawing. Embarrassed, I'd shamefully handed over the drawing book. Instead of being creeped out, he told me that it was a masterpiece. I just laughed.

We finally got back to the hotel way later that day, and security had already solved the issue. I hugged Niall tightly, before skipping out of the elevator. I went back to my room and rented a movie. I fell asleep at some point, I'm not sure when, and dreamt of Ireland.