3.1

"Ivy? Is that you, dear?" A high pitched voice called from inside of the house, the woman knew it was her mother.
       "Yes, mother," she replied, closing the door and setting down her bag. She heard two sets of footsteps become louder, and her mother and father approached her.
       "Where's Agnes?" Her mother asked before glancing down at the basket.
       "She's schooling. But, we baked fresh bread this morning. I have plenty of plenty. I came over to bring you some," Ivy smiled and handed her mother one of the two baskets she held.
         "And the other?"
         "It's for Solomon," the girl answered, glancing at her father.
"Ah, he's lucky to have a friend like you," her father remarked, taking the handmade basket in his hands and placing it on the wooden table. She saw him give a frown of disapproval.
"Father," she knew what he was getting at. The entire town had thought it, too.
"You two are awfully close."
"Why is that so awful, father?"
"Phillip was a great young man, Ivy. He was strong, and capable of taking care of you girls. He deserves to be remembered as my granddaughters father."
Ivy understood the importance of being courted to someone. She had been married, a long time ago. Now she lived alone with her daughter, Agnes, and her cat, Opal, in an old wooden house. Her late husband, Phillip, had built it from the ground up before he passed from smallpox. He deserved a lot, he deserved someone who loved him. Ivy would never be able to give that to him.
"I am not marrying Solomon bloody Goode, if that's what you're driving at. Do not forget, you were the one who forced something that wasn't there, father," Ivy argued. She picked up the bag off of the floor, slinging it over her shoulder.
"Ivy, is there a live animal in there?" Her mother questioned.
"No worries, mother. I'm leaving with it."
          Ivy spun on her heel, giving her parents one last fake smile, then disappearing out of the door.
She sighed deeply as the fresh air hit her face. Walking down the gravel and dirt road, she was met with a few of the younger Union generations. Ivy hadn't exactly been young, she wasn't old, either. She was sitting in her late twenties.
She saw Agnes playing amongst the children, Constance Berman in the middle of a circle singing, "Pastor Miller, blind as a bat. Tried to read the Bible and his eyes went splat!" Agnes saw her mother, she smiled cheekily and waved. Ivy waved back, giving the young girl a silly smile.
Pastor Miller stood, turning around quickly and yelling, "but I can see you. I've got eyes in the back of my head!" The younger kids ran off and into the school building, screaming.
Constance was grabbed by her older sister, Abigail Berman, dragging her away from the pastor, but stopping when she saw Ivy.
"Ivy!" She called, "the full moon rises before nightfall."
"A good night to enjoy the fruit of the land," Ivy smiled, walking over to the girl.
"You'll be joining us?" Abigail said excitedly.
"I will not."
"I want to come too!" Constance begged, Abigail quickly stopped her.
"No, you're not."
"Fine, then I'm telling mother."
Abigail groaned and looked at Ivy, who simply smiled and said, "enjoy your night, Abigail. Be safe."
The Berman sisters walked away, leaving Ivy to continue her journey to Solomons house, into the woods.
Almost out of the town, Ivy was met with loud banging in the outdoor closet.
Thomas, her brother, came stumbling out, catching sight of Ivy.
"Oh, sister," he slurred, "where you off to now?"
"Be still, Thomas."
"Remember, I see all of the dark secrets. Even yours, sister."
"You must be busy, then," Ivy remarked, pushing past the boy and out of the town.
He called from behind her, "beware, Ivy Slater," then turned around, laughing menacingly.

-

The woman had finally made it to Solomons house, having to pass rivers, creeks, fallen trees and many boulders and rocks.
She saw the man from afar, he was working on some of his crops. She called out to him, "Solomon!"
He turned to look at his visitor, quickly catching on that it was Ivy due to her unique green stitched dress. He smiled, "Ivy!"
Ivy walked passed two graves, chills ran over her body.
He opened the door, allowing Ivy to walk inside. She stood tall, holding out the sack and basket.
"And what is this?" Solomon asked, taking the things out of her hands.
"Well, Agnes and I baked fresh bread this morning and last night, our pig had piglets. Take it as a small gift from Union," the town had missed him dearly, especially Ivy and Agnes. Only few years ago he had moved out of the town and into the private woods with his pregnant wife, Florence. Ivy would love to live some place secluded like this, but she couldn't handle being alone with just Agnes.
"This is madness, Ivy. It's too much, I can't accept," Solomon told, looking into the basket.
"Just think of it as my dowry. We're practically married, haven't you heard?"
"Well, in that case, this isn't nearly worth it," Solomon chuckled, "but thank you, truly."
"Of course. Shadows fall on us all now and then. You've been good to Agnes and I. I can't thank you enough for it," Ivy told, giving a comforting smile.
"You need someone to do the heavy lifting," Solomon smiled.
"That means you need someone to do the baking."
"Where's the little one?" Solomon asked.
"Schooling. She should be out shortly," Ivy answered, thinking of Agnes, "are you feeling alright? You look a little sickly."
"My, uh, brother wants me to give up," Solomon confessed, putting the piglet in the fenced back part of his house, "move back to the settlement. He says the Goode family are not farmers. But these lands, they are fertile. I know it. We'll have a healthy crop yet. The sun will shine on us."
"Oh, Solomon. You ought to rest some," Ivy worried, examining his face once again, "you look like death."
"Ivy Slater. As flattering as ever," Solomon chuckled.
Ivy let out a short laugh, looking out of the window, "well, I'm going to lose light. I should go."
"Full moon rises before nightfall," Solomon recalled, "you're not going, are you?"
"No, of course not. My days of celebrating with the fruits of land are over."
"Good. You know nothing good ever comes out of those woods after sundown."
"I know, Solomon. You need to stop worrying."
"You should come back soon. I haven't seen Agnes in a long while," Solomon suggested, walking her to the door.
"You would see us a lot more if you ever came to Settlement," Ivy declared, "we miss you dearly."
"You're right, I'll try my best."
"Goodbye, Solomon," she smiled.
"Goodbye, Ivy."