Chapter 13 - Argument

Trigger warning – a bit of swearing at the beginning of the chapter

They're shouting next door. What are they arguing on? It sounds quite heated and has been going on for a few minutes now. God, I hate it. I can't stand staying around upset people. I feel like I'm eight again; like I'm back to being that helpless little girl who's afraid of people's moods and reactions. I hate feeling like this, this overwhelming, crushing feeling that something terrible is about to happen. I swore I would never let myself feel like that again.

I need to know what they're talking about so I can avoid it.

As I decide to stand up, I'm reminded I'm hooked up to all sorts of machinery by a pull on my arm. Stupid IV... I climb back on the bed and cross over to the other side, where I grab the drip stand. So much for being discreet with that thing! As I try to eavesdrop on the conversation, I hear Steve.

"...need to put her back in a cell, she's a liabil– what's that sound?"

"It sounds like...casters", says Bruce hesitantly, "oh shit!"

I then hear footsteps approaching rapidly and crawl backwards just in time to not get hit by the door as it swings open. Steve is standing in the doorway, followed closely by a concerned Dr Banner. So they were talking about me. They think I'm a nuisance. What was I thinking? I was just fooling myself. How stupid am I to think they could believe me? I'm fucking ridiculous, I've nothing to offer them but to be a pain in the ass. That's what I am to them. A liability. A fucking liability.

I'm just– I don't– I thought it would be different for once. But no, I guess not. I have to get out of here. I won't feel like a disappointment again.

"What are you doing?"

"No– nothing", I clear my throat, "strolling a bit, my legs were asleep; why ?" Not one of them believes me, it's clear on their faces. It feels like I'm judged by the most disbelieving and solemn court in the universe. To top it off, Natasha gives me the look.

You know, the 'you better tell the truth yourself or I'll make it my mission to find out' look.

"You shouldn't be up", Banner says, "the strain on your rib from moving, hell even breathing, should be like white-hot needles." At his words, everyone stares at me intently and I flush under their gazes.

I feel myself getting redder and redder and so I look down. It's very uncomfortable to feel the scrutiny of several pairs of eyes. There's shuffling around and Natasha lifts my head back up with her fingers. From the corner of my eye, I see Barnes taking one last look at me, with his brows furrowed before closing the door behind him. It's only me and Nat now.

"Doesn't it hurt ?"

I don't dare to look into her eyes and my throat still feels clogged up so I simply shrug. After a few moments, I swallow and manage to croak, "as long as I breathe shallowly it's bearable".

"Come sit." She leads me back to the bed and stares at me. I shuffle under her scrutiny. "You heard us." It's a statement, not a question.

"Yes", I sigh, "yes I heard you, not the entirety of your conversation but enough to know what you think of me, what I can't understand is why not sooner?"

"Why not sooner?" She huffs a laugh. "I think broken ribs and surgery are valid grounds to warrant an out-of-prison monopoly-type card don't you think?"

"Besides...We haven't all reached an agreement on that yet." She goes to stand up. "I'm gonna leave you alone now, I have things to do but please", she looks me in the eyes, "don't do anything stupid..."

"–til you get back, go it", I add with a knowing smile. I see the glint of recognition in her eyes as she crosses the threshold with a nod.

❋❋❋

Hi everyone!

I'm pleased to announce that I've gotten back into the gist of things! Yes, yes, you've heard me right, I'm coming back, and I'm coming stronger on "Stuck in the Multiverse".

I've just published chapter 13, very short I know, but it's a hopeful resume of my writing.

This story is very important to me and it had taken me a while to know where I wanted to take it but (fingers crossed) I will make time to update at the end of summer and after going back to university.

Thank you to all of you who commented, added the story to your libraries or lists, voted and just simply read it. I love you all, YOU are giving me the motivation and strength to post it for the internet to read.

Love you lots, and as always I wish for you to do something that brings you joy, everyday ❤❤❤

XX, Inès

❋❋❋