[8] - Smoke and Shame

It was a quiet morning in the manticore village. The melodious snores of beasts surrounded the area, and the soft whispers of the wind could be heard off in the distance.

All was well.

Well, not exactly.

A figure soundlessly made its way across the village, entering the vast woodlands beyond without a second of hesitation. They allowed their hooves to wander throughout the greenery, uncertain of where they were heading.

"Good morning, Daisy." A voice interrupted her wandering, and the newcomer stepped to the kirin's side. "I didn't expect to see you up so early."

"M-morning, Bee." Daisy answered politely, bowing her head to the manticore. "I couldn't sleep." She added.

"Ah, I see." Bee nodded in understanding. "I was just about to go fruit picking. Would you mind helping me?"

"Not at all. I didn't have anything else going on, anyways..." The kirin mumbled. "Where should I go?" She asked, ready to waste some time.

"Just keep going ahead. You should see some tall, thin-looking trees. You might have to climb up a bit, but there should be at least five fruits ready for harvest there." Bee explained. "I'll be heading to some bushes off to the left of there, so come find me once you've finished."

"Got it." Daisy trotted ahead, her head high. When she was sure that Bee had gone out of sight, however, the kirin slumped her head back towards the ground.

Daisy wasn't stupid. Bee knew she wasn't feeling her best, so she was hoping that the kirin would feel better when she was distracted. Yet nothing could prevent Daisy's dreadful thoughts from entering her mind. It was as if she was cursed-- no matter what she tried, she couldn't push the crushing feeling of guilt away. The distraught expression on Auris' face, Satoru's fiery hatred, Kaya's crushed gaze, Haki's desperate tone... All of it kept replaying in a never-ending loop in Daisy's head.

"She'll be the death of us all."

Satoru's final remark echoed in Daisy's ears, and she slammed a heavy hoof to the ground, snorting.

Maybe he'd been right. She had been the only one to stay behind, believing it was the better option. But... was it?

Although, the kirin hadn't expected to be the only one. She didn't want to be left behind. She thought the others would understand-- that maybe they, too, would desire safety over risking it all. But they wanted to play the game of chance, thinking that they could actually change everything...

They weren't even from that world. How could they think that they could make a difference? They were humans! They knew nothing about the Ancients' cultures or what they'd been through! So, how was it that...

Auris' hopeful gaze seeped into Daisy's vision, and she stared back at it blankly.

"Look, I'm sorry." She whispered, turning away from the apparition. "But I did what I had to. I-- I can't just risk everything like you can. It isn't that easy."

Auris continued looking, and Daisy whinnied in frustration.

"Come on, I get it, okay! I made the wrong choice. But that doesn't mean you get to haunt me for it! Maybe this was better, I would've just slowed you down. Satoru said I was the downfall, but I assure you, I would have been much more of a disappointment had I come along! I can't fight like you all can! I just don't have the energy, okay? I just want to live. I don't want to die just yet, I-I--"

The kirin's voice erupted into heavy sobs, and she collapsed to the ground in a heap.

"I-I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She struggled to get out, sucking in breaths and coughing through her tears.