23

A/N: It's so hard to write 😮‍💨

I'm also tired of copying the plot directly, so things will become even more canon-divergent from now on <3

——

A bell rings, which wakes me from an uncomfortable slumber.

"Man, these fuckin' school desks are so uncomfortable," I mumble to myself, kicking the desk and punching the air.

Still tired, I yawn and pack up the shit scattered around my desk.

"Load of bullshit, man. My dream was just getting good..."

I was brought back into the moment by a hand being placed on my shoulder. I flinch.

"AYO????"

"Are you okay, (y/n)? You seem out of it today..." Zoe asks.

It was refreshing. It reminded me of the first drop of rain on a hot day. I wanted to keep my composure, but my grip was slipping. A single tear escaped my eye.

"(Y/n)??? Come on, let's go outside. We'll talk there."

The compassion in Zoe's eyes was so real. As I made eye contact with her, I found myself to be crying once more. That's when I realized that I really do matter. I have an impact on the people around me. People care about me.

After some brief moments, I find myself in front of the school with her.

"Zoe...I just wanted to say thank you. You're always there for me. I wish I was a better friend..."

"(Y/n), stop with the nonsense. You've always been a great friend. You're like- the only reason I even come to school, you know. Don't be so hard on yourself!"

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. By now, I was full on ugly crying into her sleeve. I tried to say thank you, but I'm certain that my obnoxious crying made it hard to understand.

Her arms wrapped around me tenderly. I've never felt so understood (even though she probably can't even understand my words).

"Thank you so much..." I slow my breathing in an attempt to calm down. "I've been trying so hard lately, you make me feel like my efforts are seen."

She beams at you "Of course, (y/n)!! That's what friends are for!"

I wipe my tears with my uniform top before returning her smile.

"Let's go to the cafeteria before we're too late!" I giggle.

——

A/N: I didn't like the direction that (y/n)'s character was going, so I'll be focusing a lot on character development. I have some interesting ideas, I can't wait to get everyone's thoughts on them!