2. Bumps In The Night [H]

C H A P T E R  T W O -  Hunter Kingsley

I still couldn't believe I was beaten by a girl in COD. A girl. How humiliating. I still stand by the thought that she cheated somehow. And she was really close to me on that couch so I had no room to move. Yeah, yeah that was it. It wasn't because she was good at it or anything. Pssh, course it wasn't.

We walked into the diner; immediately graced with the familiar smell of homemade American cooking and the unfamiliar sound of some David Guetta song. Which was odd, some kid must have changed the song otherwise Mrs R would've had some Beatles song playing.

Alec and Robin were wrapped up in each other's arms and smiling at each other lovingly. I struggled not to barf, you'd think after two years they'd tone down on the PDA but them being them, only turned it up a notch every few months.

They were so annoying, always having to touch each other. I didn't understand why everybody wanted to be like them. They were the 'It' couple at school. Everybody knew who they were and they were known as 'The Golden Couple' at school. Literally. They both had the blonde hair, golden tan thing going on. It was nauseating.

We waved hello at Mrs R who was working behind the counter scooping some thick creamy goodness into a sundae cup.

Right, I know what I'm having for dessert.

Noah was twiddling with the hem of his shirt and staring off into space again, completely oblivious to the world around him.

Weirdo, I thought, sliding into our favorite corner booth savoring the warmth and familiar smells floating around me.

I loved this place; it was by far the best diner in America and trust me, I'd been to a few. It had the whole 50s look from the leather-clad booths to the jukebox in the corner. Picture after picture lined the walls including Marilyn Monroe, John Travolta, Elvis Presley and just about everything vintage.

The place wasn't completely 50s though, us young 'uns had taken it upon ourselves to spice the place up a bit. We had made the seats a bright turquoise, accompanied by bright pink walls after hours of arguing with Janet (Mrs R) who ultimately won (unfortunately). Funnily enough, it didn't look half bad.

It looked retro.

The seats lining the ice cream parlor were moped seats, which in my opinion looked completely banging (and my idea, just saying). We even managed to get the jukebox to play latest hits (much to Mrs R's distaste) as well as the old tunes to keep everybody happy . The whole place was just so warm and inviting and the food was just outta this world; it was no surprise that it was a favorite spot for everyone from school to hang out in.

"Whaddup, kids?" Logan sauntered over, taking out his notepad from the pocket of the blue apron tied loosely around his waist. At 19, Logan was the second oldest child in the Rivers family and had the same black hair paired with bright blue eyes as the others. Being so close in age with Noah made them look freakishly alike: almost like twins.

"The usual?" I don't even know why he asked; he had already scribbled our order down.

"Hey, Logan! How's college? Is it all it's cracked up to be?" Robin lit up, snuggling slightly into Alec's arm that was wrapped around her shoulders.

He flashed a cheeky smile, "Great! The parties are legendary and the girls... Well let's just say they're a little more... educated than high school girls." He smirked and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"Gross, Logan! Wash your hands before you handle my food. Lord knows what they've been doing." Robin laughed, waving her hand dismissively.

"You mean, who they've been doing," I smirk, high-fiving Logan and laughing.