prologue

AFTER HOURS OF SPEEDING DOWN THE SNOW COVERED ROAD, Jasper and Alice Cullen pulled up to a large cabin mansion, hidden by the tall trees of the woods. Quickly, the two make their way to the front of the house, where they now stand at the front door, unsure of what to do next.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Jasper asks in hesitation, but a small nod from the woman beside him is all he needs before he raises a fist to knock on the wooden door.

Alice fidgets in her place, but Jasper is quick to grab her hand, holding it gently as his fingers caress her knuckles. They share a smile until they hear the oncoming footsteps getting closer to the door. The door is suddenly wide open in a flash.

There at the door is a little girl, possibly around age ten, looking at them with big eyes and a welcoming smile.

"Hello! Who are you?" The little girl asks enthusiastically, but before Jasper or Alice can say anything, a woman, who looks much like the little girl, comes forward.

"Ridley, what did I say about-"

The woman freezes as she looks at Alice and Jasper in shock, but immediately her expression turns cold. She reaches forward to pull the little girl closer to her, never taking her eyes off the two vampires.

Immediately Alice and Jasper take in the woman's scent, realizing she was a werewolf. Alice smiles at the woman, trying her best to come across as friendly, but by the glare on the woman's face, she could tell she wouldn't get anywhere with her.

"What do you want?" The woman asks, her tone demanding nothing but the truth.

Alice looks at Jasper, who gives her a brief look of encouragement before looking back at the woman with the same stone-cold gaze. Alice looks at the woman and decides to get to the point.

"Is Elowen Foster here?" Alice asks.

The woman hears the hope and slight desperation in Alice's tone, but it's not enough to make her cooperate.

"Who's asking?"

Alice freezes momentarily until Jasper cuts in.

"We are Alice and Jasper Cullen. We need to speak with Elowen immediately."

The woman continues to look at them warily. She looks over the couple, while there scent was a dead give away, that wasn't the only way she knew that these folks were vampires. And they definitely were not from here.

"Nyah, who's at the door?" A voice calls out.

The woman, now known as Nyah, moved her and the little girl (Ridley) out of the way to let another girl (looking no older than 15) walk up to the door to see their visitors.

Alice looks over the new face and smile, feeling more comfortable around her than the other. With the pale skin and bright red eyes, Alice knew she was a vampire, which was odd, considering she seemed really close to Nyah, who was a werewolf.

"Hello, I'm Alice and this is Jasper." Alice says, gesturing to Jasper before continuing on, "We were looking for Elowen Foster?"

The red-headed girl brightens up instantly, "Oh, Elowen? She's here. Come on in and I'll grab her for you!"

The girl waved her hand at the other two to move, which they do, but not without Nyah looking unsure.

"Honey, why don't you finish your homework?" Nyah says to Ridley, who nods her head and runs off to finish her tasks.

"Please make yourselves comfortable, I'll be right back." The girl said before dashing off to find the mystery girl.

Alice and Jasper walk in carefully, feeling on edge as Nyah closes the door with a loud slam.

"Have a seat." Is all Nyah says.

Without wanting to make Nyah more upset than she already is, they sit down on one of the brown leather couches covered with throw pillows and knitted blankets.

A couple minutes go by with Nyah staring at the two, as if she was waiting for them to slip up. Alice shifts in her seat uncomfortably while Jasper clears his throat and before Nyah could make a comment, the girl from before walks in with another woman following close behind her.

"Here she is!" The girl says, earning a small pat on the head from the woman called Elowen.

Alice can't help but admire Elowens beauty. She stands around five foot, maybe a few inches taller than that. She has dark brown shoulder length hair. Her eyes were a deep green that matched perfectly with her pale skin, but what caught Alice eyes the most were the three claw marks over her right eye.

The scars were pinkish red, fully healed. She couldn't imagine the pain Elowen went through when she received the horrible injury, but with or without the scars she was a beautiful woman and Alice knew she would make a fabulous queen.

However, that's all besides the point. Alice was quick to stand up and walk up to Elowen, ignoring Nyah's deep growl.

"Hello, I'm Alice Cullen."

Please vote and comment, your feedback is appreciated :)