Friends or Foes?

Chapter 9

I stood there confused outside of the room wondering what was going on. I heard them talking, but it was mostly James overreacting about what I'd think. I heard footsteps come towards my way and I quickly ran downstairs. I heard a knock at the door, it was Mike. I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen him, but I'm sure he was there the night Marie had passed. It's weird, Marie and I were so attached, the best of friends and I wasn't even torn about her death. I was emotionless like it was just another day.

Mike had come by to see how I was doing about Marie passing, Mike and I aren't that close, we never were. I guess him and Ryan are all I have now. Brian and Zack faded away from the group.

Ryan and James came down the stairs wearing robes and holding hands. Ryan looked at me with a look that said "we need to talk to you when Mike leaves," it took a while for Mike to leave, but he finally did after everything was cleared up. We had all agreed to hang out more and go to the park tomorrow.

"Heather, will you come over to the kitchen table with us?" James asked me. I nodded and followed them to the table. Ryan held my hand, took a sigh and said "Heather, James and I are fuck buddies and I'm sure you're go- I'm sure you've already shipped it even though it's not romantic-" James continued for Ryan, "Yet."

"Excuse me, what?" Ryan snapped at James ever so coldly. Even though it was completely obvious, Ryan had no idea James liked him. Either he didn't want to accept it, or he didn't care enough to pay attention to the signs. James pinched his eyes into the bridge of his nose and took a long breath. He looked up at Ryan with a look that said "where have you been all my life and what did I do to deserve you?" Although Ryan treats James like garbage, James likes him.

"James, tell me what's going on. Why did you say 'yet'?" Ryan let go of mine and James' hands, said "Don't talk to me until you figure it out" and walked outside in his robe to smoke a cigarette. "Ugh, he's such a fucking girl sometimes!" James started to rant at me.

I stopped him because who the hell wants to hear this right now? I stopped to think that maybe James would get hurt in the end, I know how Ryan is with relationships. He's only had one; it was Mike.

They didn't last long. Ryan broke up with him and took him back after Mike asked Ryan out again. I don't want to see Ryan screw up another relationship even a 'fuck buddies' relationship. James is too sweet and smart for Ryan's on going drama.

I stood up from the kitchen table as James was overreacting again. I went to hug him and he flinched away, ran upstairs and I didn't see him for hours. When I did, he came from Ryan's room. He got so torn up about this, he was acting weird and not James-weird, weird-weird. Like he was in another universe. Another speed of time. Either he was high or completely losing it. I asked him if he was high and he fell to the floor.

I tried to get Ryan from outside, but his car was gone. He must've got dressed in his car from the extra clothes he had in there. He could of been anywhere and who knows when he would come back. I went back inside to see if James was okay, but he was gone too. I was alone in Ryan's house. Everyone was out of my sight. I went across the living room to the guest room and laid down.

I woke up a few hours later and I didn't remember falling asleep. I just remember Ryan storming out of his house, James passing out and disappearing and me laying down in the guest room.

I opened the door and of course James was drunk, Ryan was high off of pills and I slept all day. Spring Break was just around the corner and Ryan, James, Mike and I had planned to go to Vegas and tell people it was our birthdays at strip clubs. It'd be like the ultimate trip for the best of friends.

Mike and I started hanging out more frequently to establish our new friendship bond now that Marie was gone. We went to a music store with James and Ryan. I never had found out why Ryan stormed out or where James went when he passed out.

We were out in public and James was showing more and more affection for Ryan every minute. One of the employees came up to us and asked if he could help us with anything. "Just looking around," Ryan grinned as he looked to the back door dragging James with him. They walked to the back and I assume they were about to bang back there.

"Whoa, dude, are you guys going to bang back there?" I asked James.

"I'm going to tear him up," was his reply. A little disturbing, but what is James without some disturbing details?

The manager came from his office and yelled, "Does anyone hear wild animals having sex?! What the hell is that noise?" Mike intervened and was going on about a zoo being close by. He was the worst liar ever. Anyone could see those are sex noises. "A zoo?! Son, you might be the worst liar ever," the manager told Mike and continued to yell, "someone find out where these noises are coming from!"

I didn't think going to a music store would cause this much trouble. Here I am about to play on some instruments and Ryan and James can't even keep it in their pants.

About 30 minutes went by and they came out of the back looking like they'd just been attacked. Ryan's hair was every where, his clothes were torn to what it looks like James' teeth did, James didn't have pants on and the ass part of his boxers was gone. "Jeez, guys! Kinky much? We can't go anywhere anymore without you two going at it! Let's go."

"Wait, Heather! What about playing on the instruments?" Ryan asked me.

"You two have played enough," I took a deep breath and tried not to yell at them, but what was I supposed to do? Get them their own fuck house? The closest thing to that was the marijuana tree house. "If you guys are done banging for today, I'd like to go home and watch Netflix all day."

Ryan, James, Mike and I got in the van. As I drove the whole way, Ryan and James made out in the backseat. I was lucky no one pulled out their dicks. As soon as we got to my house, I said my good-byes and Mike took the wheel back to Ryan's place. Before I left entirely, Ryan asked to talk to me in private. "Hey, what's up with you?"

I don't know why he's asking. He practically knows. He continued, "I know, but I want you to admit it."

"It's like James is stealing you away and it's annoying."

"Oh, sweetheart. You're so sensitive. James and I are kind of-" he paused and took in a deep breath and let it out. "Of what? What even is your relationship with him?"

"It's complicated! I don't know okay?! Get off my back, woman!"

"Ryan, stop shouting. I'm not 50 miles away and at the rate you're yelling, I'd still hear you. What's wrong? Why did you storm out last night?"

"I knew you were going to ask about that... How about you storm in your house, Mike drives James and I to my place and I avoid this conversation?" He grinned and looked to the floor whilst folding his hands together out of stress.

Ryan was acting stupid right now, he thinks he can avoid a conversation with me, he's forgotten; we aren't texting this conversation. He can't run away.

I told Ryan to go upstairs to my room so we could hang out and I went towards the van to tell James and Mike to get all of us some ice cream. They agreed and drove away. I assume they'd be gone maybe thirty through forty minutes.

Baskin Robins was a while from here. I went towards my front door and I saw Ryan by the stairs waiting for me looking at the photograhpy pictures I used to take a few years back. "These are some great pictures, Heath. You took these yourself?"

"I did! I used to be in photography."

"Y'know, James and I are just fuck buddies."

"Who happen to like being lovey dovey with each other!"

"Listen, Heath. I don't know what I'm doing here, can we forget about it and just live life?"

I stepped closer to Ryan and I whispered in his ear, "I still hate you" and gave him a hug.