Chapter 4: Leaving Me

"Have you passed the handouts all the way to the back?" Chisa asked. "This is a schedule for the practical exams that start tomorrow. If any of you need to do something to prepare, get it done today, okay?"

The entire class had a tense, melancholic air to it. Most people had gloomy looks

"In the Hope's Peak Academy Main Course, we don't have final exams by term," Chisa continued, probably trying her hardest to lift the mood, at least a little. "Instead, just once a year, we hold these practical exams. If your results are poor, you may not be able to remain at this school, but I'm sure everyone in this class will do just fine! It's your chance to use your talents, and show us teachers what you've been able to accomplish! Do your best!"

In contrast to her cheerful voice, she was met with silence, making her frown in concern. Everyone was painfully aware of the reason for the tense atmosphere.

Katsumi was sitting at her desk in unease. Those student deaths made her paranoid about everything. The exam prep by itself wasn't all that bad but added on with everything, it was almost too much to handle.

She looked up, suddenly noticing something off from the person sitting in front of her: Nagito.

When break started, Katsumi immediately saw Nagito head straight to the teacher's office. A rising suspicion built up in her stomach, causing her to start following him at a distance. When he entered the office and closed the door behind him, she continued keeping a distance, hiding behind the rounded corner of the hall.

After around a minute of checking that the coast was clear, she leaned up against the wall, getting as close as possible to the doors.

"You want me to cancel the exams?" Chisa's muffled voice came from inside.

"Yes," Nagito answered cheerfully from inside the office.

This is what he's up to?

"After what happened, everyone is certainly feeling gloomy..."

"Unlike me, the others are so full of talent, they can easily ace any exam. But... I want everyone to take the exam when they're at their best! What I want to see is the moment when all their talents shine most brightly."

"I'd also like to make that a possibility, but... Sorry. Supposedly, there'll be media coverage... Cancelling them might be a bit difficult."

A few moments of silence panned out before Katsumi heard Nagito talk again. "Is that so?" he said flatly. "I understand."

"Huh? You're giving up already?"

"Yes. Thank you, Sensei."

After hearing approaching footsteps, Katsumi darted back to the corner she originally hid in.

The door slid open a second later. Nagito stepped out, sliding it shut behind him.

After peeking a little, she saw him shrug to himself. "Yeah, I guess it is too much to ask." He smirked a little, looking back at the door. "...I'll do something about it myself, Sensei. Anyways—"

"Komaeda-kun, what do you think you're up to?" Katsumi cut in, stepping out of her hiding spot.

"Ah, did I get caught?" He seemed unfazed. "It's the first step, and I've already been stopped. How unlucky of me. Were you listening?"