Chapter 4

Minutes after she leaves the conference room, the rest of the team follow Layla into the main seating area.  Most of the team sit around on the comfy seating, Tony choosing to flop down on a long chair with his hand over his face.  Rhodey and Sam choose to stand behind a chair Steve has chosen to sit in.  You stand facing everyone, knowing that the conversation from the meeting is far from over.

"Are we seriously even discussing letting Layla lead this mission?"  Rhodey finally breaks the silence, throwing the question out to the room.

Layla looks over at him and Sam, stunned that she's being spoken about as if she weren't even in the room.  Before she has chance to respond, Sam does.

"And what's that supposed to mean?!"   He asks incredulously, shaking his head.

Before Rhodey has chance to have his say again, Layla speaks.

"He means Sam, that I don't have it in me.  That I'm not as strong as you guys."

This time Rhodey stays silent, giving Layla time to retaliate once more.

"That's right isn't it?  You think I'm weaker than you?  Because I'm telling you now Rhodey, this mission needs brains, not brawn!"

Rhodey looks to Sam for a response but nothing comes.  Layla takes a breath, happy that she's made her point.

Natasha turns to look at Tony, who is still slumped in his chair-one arm folded over his body, the other draped over his face.

"Is there a reason you've stayed uncharacteristically quiet this evening?"  She asks him.

This time Steve speaks.

"It's because he's already made up his mind."  He says matter-of-factly.

"Shut up Cap."  Tony grunts, as he stands, running his hand through his hair as he walks towards the kitchen area.

Layla smirks as does Natasha.

"He's right though isn't he Tony?!"  Layla states to Tony as his back is still turned.  "You've once again, made up your mind about me before giving me any chance to prove myself."

Tony finally turns back to face the group.  

"It's not a case of making up my mind Miss Jones.  It's common sense."

Layla guffaws.  "Surely, common sense would suggest you gave me a chance and trust me at some point?!"

Steve turns and looks between the sparring pair, nodding his understanding to Layla's point.

"Loki has had his brain messed with-this is far from safe Layla."  Tony continues.  "Listen to me.  This isn't the type of mission, any of us are used to.  There's a reason Thor didn't come and ask us to help him, himself.  None of us would have any idea what to do in that situation, especially you.  You're not ready for this level of mission Layla!"

Layla feels herself boil with rage.

"So what the hell is the point in me being here then Tony?!  Why do you keep me here if you're not going to let me fight?!"

Tony sighs.  

"To keep you safe."  He says gently.

Layla shakes her head in disbelief.  

"Layla's right Tony."  Steve finally states.

"Explain?!"  Tony demands.

"We all joined this team to help-to be in among the action.  Layla is never part of that."  Steve explains.

Rhodey takes a small step towards Steve so he's in his eyeline. 

"Tony is right Steve."  He says.  "It's too dangerous for her."

Steve shakes his head losing patience with these members of the team.  Tony begins walking towards him shaking his head too.

"And correct me if I'm wrong Cap, but surely you don't wanna see her hurt do you?!"  He asks, even though he clearly already knows the answer.

"You know I don't but that's not the point here!"  Steve argues.

Layla throws her hands up in frustration. 

"Feel free to carry on chatting about me like I'm not even here guys!"  She says exasperated with the situation.

"I agree with you Lay,"  Natasha says trying to pacify her friend.  But it's too late-Layla has had enough.  Before she has chance to continue, Tony leans in towards Nat.  

"And you're totally mad clearly."  He states.

"That's it!!"  Layla yells.  "Screw this, I'm done!"

She turns and storms out of the main room, much to the shock of the team.  Steve doesn't hesitate in jumping up to go after his friend.

"Great!"  He announces.  "I'm going after her."

He quickly walks in the direction of her, as the remaining members of the Avengers watch, knowing that they caused this.