Chapter 1: Fallen Down

art by: @suamochi on Twitter

tw: slight blood/injury

[ NO ONE'S POV ]

"Mom, pleaseeeeeeeeeee!! Just this one time!!" Chara begged, tugging on their mother's tunic. Both Chara and Asriel were desperate to get out of the castle and explore the Underground together. The two sometimes got an occasional chance to get to hang around Hotland and Waterfall, but they have never ventured to Snowdin or the Ruins before. Their mother, Toriel, was going to hunt for snails in the Ruins again, and the two saw this as the perfect chance.

"Yes, pretty please!! We swear we'll be good and careful!" Asriel piped up, bouncing on his feet in anticipation.

Toriel let out a sigh before turning around to stare down her two pleading children. "Do you two promise that you won't run off?"

The two kids stared back up to the motherly goat with shining eyes and furiously nodded.

"Well then, I suppose it should be alright... Hurry up and get your shoes then! And, if you would, tell your father and Uncle Gaster that we'll be off now," Toriel asked, a warm smile present on her fuzzy face. Toriel goes on snail hunts a little more than monthly and every time her children beg to come. Asgore warned her that one day she would crack down and eventually let them come, and so it seemed he was right.

"YAAYYYYYYY!!" Chara and Asriel cheered, jumping up and down in excitement.

"Go along now my children, we're going to need to move quick if we want to get there before lunch!" Toriel chided, slightly worried about getting to the Ruins on time, as it was a bit of a walk from the castle.

Asriel gave his mother a quick nod before whirling around to follow Chara, who was already running off to their bedroom. The two hurriedly shoved their shoes onto their feet and rushed to the living room.

"Dad, Dad!! Mom is letting us go snail hunting in the Ruins with her today!" Chara cheered, grinning in victory. They had been asking to go with their mother for ages, and today they would finally have the chance to join her and explore mor of the Underground.

Asgore looked up to the kids from behind his newspaper in false surprise and genuine happiness. "Is that so?! You two are going to have so much fun! You better be good for your mother though. If you are, she might let you go with her again!" the fuzzy man suggested from the large, cushioned chair he was sat in.

"We will, we promise!!" Asriel yelled out, practically bursting from the seams with enthusiasm.

A monotone voice piped up suddenly and chastised, "Asriel, tie your shoe. I don't want to have to patch up your busted knees again." A tall skeleton was sat at the dining table with a steaming mug of coffee in his holey hand. Eye bags were clearly visible under his piercing eyes and his face expressed clear annoyance.

"A-Ah, yes, of course, Uncle Gaster," Asriel sputtered out. He'd never admit it to his parents, but his uncle scared him. Not only because of the fact he was stronger than everyone in the Underground combined, but also because of his continuous lack of emotion when he spoke. It was unnerving to the young kid, especially since his parents were always so affectionate and caring. Yet, that might be the problem. Maybe Uncle Gaster just needed someone to love, besides his two sons. Then again, the goat boy was unsure if anyone could love Gaster.

As Asriel bent down to tie his shoes, Chara smirked at their uncle with a devilish glare. "Hm, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed didn't they?"

The faraway look in Gaster's eyes suddenly left and he was glaring down at the small human from the other side of the room. "I did not," he huffed, adjusting the round glasses that were slowly sliding down his nose.