Chapter 9: Dummy

"...Is everything alright?" Gaster asked, feigned innocence clouding his face.

Hesitantly, you began gingerly laughing and lied. "Oh, The Tiny Siren's ending just got us is all! Hah, who knew a children's movie could make you so emotional!!" You knew the answer sounded like bullshit, but what else could you have said?

Sans pulled his face up from your shoulder and sighed. "Wow, you're such a crybaby, Y/N. It didn't even have a sad ending!" The boy was obviously trying to narrate that you had been the one upset at the movie, which in all honesty made more sense. You did seem to be the more emotional of the two.

"Oh, yeah, sorry— The wedding scene was just so sweet!" You wistfully told, rubbing your already dry eyes with a blouse sleeve.

Gaster swiftly shouldered off his lab coat and threw it on the coat rack adjacent the front door. "Hm, I never cared too much for that movie. Far too much singing," he quietly snarled, his aloofness voice stabbing your old, idealistic version of him.

"Told ya!" Sans murmured, elbowing your side. A small, shaky giggle from you was offered but it was odd, how quickly Sans' demeanor changed. Two minutes before he was breaking down, crying in your shoulder. Now, he idly sat, poking Papyrus until the agitation awoke him. He drastically switched his emotions and manner so skillfully. It was almost as if he was used to doing it.

"Anyways, how was you all's day?" The man asked, draping his bag over his pinewood chair.

"Well, Pap and I's was fine," Sans snickered as he stood. A cheeky look was thrown at you, sitting on the floor, to which you returned with a surly frown.

The skeleton father looked to you curiously and you wearily sighed. "I may have, on accident, slept til noon," you explained with a shaky laugh.

An unexpected chuckle left the man's teeth, startling your cautious mind. "Yes, I'd expect that. Your body is still recovering from the fall, I'm sure. Don't be embarrassed, it was a great fall," Gaster soothed, synthetic sympathy seeping his sentences.

The fall, he blamed it on. You found that humorous.

"Never-mind. I actually did want to come and ask you, Y/n, if you'd like to accompany me to the lab!" The man across the room exclaimed, unforeseen enthusiasm soaking his voice.

Surprised, you stood up and inquired, "Weren't you just at the lab?"

"I barely got any work I needed to finish thanks to the galant imbeciles I was ordering around all day," Gaster irritably retorted.

"Sure, but why are you inviting me?" You asked, still confused at his motives.

The skeleton shrugged and held a hand up in the air forgetfully. "I just thought you might enjoy a change of scenery and a chance to stretch your legs." The hand waving absentmindedly in the air suddenly stilled and extended itself towards you. A zany, cunning look gleamed in Gaster's pinpricks when he offered, "So, would you like to accompany me?"

You almost reached your hand out to join with his— before snapping out of your trancelike state and blurting, "Let me freshen up first!"

Dashing upstairs, you swiftly made your way into the bathroom and closed the door behind you.

Your heart was racing. Why? You were unsure.
Up until now you surely would have trusted Gaster, taken his advice, followed his lead. You would even say you admired him to an extent.

But after what Sans told you, that all changed.
The one person you thought you could trust turned out to be scheming behind your back, abusing your very own soul at that.
It just hurt.