Chapter 3 - What is Mom doing?

April arrived in Miss Barb’s newly repaired studio to one of her students, June (who was also Miss Barb’s daughter), doing a back handspring.
“Oh my God,” April cried, rushing to the front of the crowd. “June! You could hurt yourself! The floor is wooden.”
“Well, I didn’t.” June said, grinning happily. “Sarah dared me, and I did it!”
‘No, she didn’t,’ the deaf dancer, Zuzu, signed. ‘June just did it.’
“Oh, June.” April picked the little girl up and set her down on her feet. “If you wanted to do it, you should have told me.” She stared at the other dancers. “And you guys should have gotten her a mat.”
Everyone looked sheepish. April took the opportunity to clap her hands. “All right, let’s try Dance C.”
Everybody was dancing to the beat, including Zuzu (who could feel the vibrations). That’s when the door to the studio burst open.
They all startled, even April, who just couldn’t focus on the dancing for some reason. The dancers fell on top of each other mid-step.
“Oh my - ”April regained her composure and strode towards the door. A little girl about eight years old stood there, with a picture of confidence.
“My name is May,” she said, gazing around with her big brown eyes that were, April realized, the exact same shade as her own. “I’m new. My guardian told me that the dance team here is the best, so I was sent here.”
“Oh, hello, May.” April looked a little bit flustered, which was completely out of character. She also couldn’t help noticing how much May looked like her.“And who exactly is your guardian?”
“A woman, about late forties. '' May said.
“Her name?” April asked.
“ Ella Dibrina. I call her Auntie.” May replied in a nonchalant tone.
April felt her heart racing. She grabbed the wall to steady herself.
Her dancers, who were watching, stared.
“Excuse me a moment,” April whispered, before racing towards the bathroom.
Once inside, she checked her phone desperately for anything from Ella Dibrina (Mom).
Still nothing.
April sighed. When she finally found out that her mother was in the same state as her, she couldn’t be contacted. Typical.
She took a deep breath and re-entered the studio “All right, let’s get started, shall we?” April said, putting on a false cheerful tone. Everyone nodded and soon they were dancing their hearts out.
“Bye, everyone!” April shouted as she gathered her things and left the studio…
...to walk smack-dab into a woman of late forties.