Chapter 4 - the Necklace

“April?” The woman said uncertainly.April's eyes widened, but she continued walking in the other direction.
“April!” The woman caught up to her. “Did you forget me already, baby girl?”
April frowned and shook her head. “Mom,” she said in a false gush. “It’s such a coincidence that I’d see you here.”
“I know, right? I can’t believe you’re here in Wisconsin!” Her mother shook her head and laughed.
“You would’ve known if you cared a little more,” April muttered. “Bye, Mom,” she said abruptly, before turning and walking away.
Soon her pace changed into a run, showing that she couldn’t wait to get away from the awkward moment. She ran to Nick’s house and slammed the door behind her, letting out the breath she had not even realized that she was holding.
“April! What happened?” The sound of pounding feet came down the hallway. She heard a gentle but hurried knock on her door.
She opened the door and a small child with blonde hair came in. Michelle.
“April are you OK? Why did you slam the door?” Michelle asked, all in one breath.Though April wasn’t paying attention, instead fiddling with her necklace. She knew that she would have to see her mom again sooner or later.
“April? Are you OK?” Michelle asked again.
“Hmm?” April frowned. “Of course I’m OK. Why wouldn’t I be?”
“Where did you get that necklace?” Michelle pointed. April’s hands flew to her neck. “I- um, my mother,” she said self-consciously.
“Cool.” Michelle bounced on her feet. “I know how you’re feeling, April. Um...I should go now.” Michelle trudged out of the room.
“Finally, some peace and quiet.” April sighed.