Bucky (1) - You Promised

Y/n sat around the campfire as they waited for Steve and the Howling Commandos to return from their latest mission: infiltrating a bullet train carrying Zola across the country. 

FIRE

There was suddenly a commotion from behind them, making y/n look up from the letter they were writing. Y/n stood with a smile on their face, setting the letter and pencil down and jogging up to the trucks that were returning to the camp. Y/n smiled as she spied the familiar red, white, and blue uniform, giving Steve a tight hug as he got down from the truck. Y/n didn't register the hesitance Steve had to wrap his arms around him, pulling away with a smile still on their face, looking around Steve.

"Where's Bucky?" Y/n asked before noticing the fallen faces of the Howling Commandos, turning back to Steve to see the tears staining his face. "Steve?" 

Steve's heart broke even further as he watched Y/n's face fall. "Y/n... I..."

"You said you would take care of him, so where is he? Steve, where's Bucky?" Y/n raised their voice, panic and fear setting in. 

"He didn't make it, kid," Dum Dum finally spoke up after Steve didn't move.

"What?" Y/n let out as their voice cracked. 

"I... I tried," Steve finally got out. "I tried to save him."

"Well not hard enough," they spit out at him before turning and running off.

"Y/n! Y/n!" Steve tried, buy Y/n didn't turn back around. He let out a painful breath, a tear falling down as he realized that their group of three was broken beyond repair. Bucky had been the glue and now there was nothing to hold them together anymore.

Y/n ran into their tent, flopping down on the uncomfortable bed as sobs escaped their lips

"I'm not sure I like this idea very much," Y/n admitted as they sat in their tent with Bucky gently rubbing shapes on Y/n's hand. 

"You just don't like it because you can't come."

"I would feel better about it if I did."

"You can't," Bucky looked down at them and said. "Besides, I can handle it. Plus Steve will be there the entire time."

"Doesn't mean I wanna leave my two boys on their own. I love Steve and all, but I'm not sure."

"Hey, we've all known each other since we were five. Since when do we not protect each other?" Bucky asked making Y/n sighed.

"Okay. Just be careful."

"I will." Y/n nodded before pulling Bucky into their face, passionately connecting their lips before pulling away and he took Y/n's hand as they walked out of tent and over to the trucks.

" Y/n nodded before pulling Bucky into their face, passionately connecting their lips before pulling away and he took Y/n's hand as they walked out of tent and over to the trucks

"Don't worry, I'll take care of him," Steve told Y/n, knowing the look on their face.

"I know. Both of you be careful."

"We will. See you later, Y/n," Steve gave Y/n a hug before climbing into the truck. Y/n sighed as the truck started, knowing that Bucky had to go.

"Hey," Bucky tilted Y/n's chin to look at him, "I'll be back. I promise." 

He kissed them once more before climbing in next to Steve and giving a smile as they drove away

"You promised," Y/n cried. "You promised me."

So this one was a little long and sad, but I hope you liked it. If you guys want to see more of these, please send in ideas. I'm running out and I'm not overly sure if I should continue the book or not. Please give me some ideas or at least let me know that you want to see more! Thanks!