Chapter 21: Tachibana

Chapter Warning: Later on, this chapter will contain a scene including blood, horror, and a character in deep distress, which may not be suitable for young or highly sensitive readers. Read at your own risk.

As the quartet of kirin made it to the terrace that made up the front of the huge manor where the Tachibana family resided, both Nara and Akiko laid down to let Malorie, Tia, and Amaterasu hop off their backs. They could no longer hear the shrieks of the small but stealthy eibake, but the distant chirping of forest cicadas in the trees.

"I haven't been here in a long time," noted the kitsune priestess.

Just above the shoji doors leading to the foyer was painted with a lily, the crest of the noble house of Tachibana. It was similar to the Omori Family Crest, albeit lacking a star in the centre or a crown on top and the flower being in a different shape. The terrace was similar to the terrace of Omori Palace back at the capital, albeit much smaller and its trees being mostly dainty peach trees, and instead of one huge ceremonial fountain, there were only two small fountains on both sides which were purely decorative. It was, for sure, a peaceful and open land where one could daydream away in the grass. The double-leveled manor's exterior itself had a theme of mostly red and tiled roofing just like the palace at the capital, but it was dark and less saturated but at the same time quite regal. It was also smaller than the palace, but at the same time five times larger than the common and usual house in the kingdom. But there was one feature the palace had which this place lacked: several towers.

It was indeed Tachibana Manor, home of one of the main noble houses of eastern Onmyou. The other houses that were part of this group were Hirayama, Yamane, Tamaki, Kuwahara, Fujino, Nishida, and the most influential of them all, Omori.

The manor was also situated on a hill, but was less high up. Still, the trio could see so much of the landscape on different sides. There were other hills of malachite to the northeast, along with more Shiroyama mountains in the distance. Despite the name, the mountains were as green as an oak leaf during this summer, with some of them appearing to be snowcapped, but turning completely white during the winter moons.

"Should we go in?" Tia asked.

"It's probably better to just wait near the doors." Amaterasu replied to the small inugami. "The Guards are probably done with the situation by now." By instinct, Amaterasu checked the surroundings by looking and smelling around to make sure no more eibake were around. All she saw were peach trees and spotted camellia shrubs around, and all she could smell were their sweet fragrances mixed together.

But then the Guards all returned with the other kirin steeds and a newcomer to the quintet who had already arrived before them: a large ram yokai with a thick coat of wool, a pair of curled-up horns that bore minimal cracks, tough and glossy eyes that had a hue between light green and blue, and a hachimaki just like the Guards. Sensei Steel Wool himself.

Malorie thought it was interesting that a ram seemed to be the sensei of the Guards, though he was indeed fitting to be one. Those horns of his have especially seen some things.

"Sorry for the inconvenience over at the ginkgoes. Anyway, I am known as Steel Wool. My apprentices and those who are now Royal Guards call me Sensei."

Steel Wool? That's a funny name...he's a sheep and he's the sensei of the Guards... Malorie thought. Then she spoke up. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Malorie. Princess Malorie. Of the Reiwa-Windsor House."

Tia dipped her head in respect, as Steel Wool was both an elder and a leader. "I'm still Tia."

The ram took off the bag that was secure on his back as he was going to present something the Otherworlders may need on their quest. He used his muzzle to open the flap of the bag and his flat ungulate's teeth to grab three bundles of paper spells, which were each marked with symbols that seem to look like kanji in a runic style. Each had a differently-coloured ribbon: one crimson, another was gold, and the third one as pink as a peach.