the comfort

-

You had forgotten about the card

You had forgotten about the card. It was easy to, with the demands of your daily life. It has been a while since you've ended up at the train station and even if your mind would stray to the orange-haired train conductor that night, it wouldn't stray for long. Your marriage was not worked on, no effort to be improved and your career was just as suffocating as usual.

"You've been rather quiet these days," Jaehyun, your co-worker and childhood friend said and you hummed. "Maybe you need another one of those train station days."

Jaehyun was the only person who knew of your little momentary escapes. The mention of the train station brought your mind back to that a particular day and you brought out your wallet, Jaehyun leaning forward eagerly.

"Why? Are you paying for the coffee?" he asked and you whacked him on the head with your wallet. He made a face. You pulled out the card, passing it along to Jaehyun, the male staring at it before he flickered his eyes onto your face. "What is this? Some card with a Tumblr quote on it?"

"A man gave it to me on one of my train station days," you told him and he flipped it over to inspect it. "How old are train conductors, usually? I always imagine them to be quite old."

"No idea," Jaehyun shrugged before saying something as if he was reading it off the card. "Love makes the shy brave and the brave, shy."

A look crossed his face, Jaehyun looking deep in thought before he cleared his throat, shaking his head softly like he was trying to dispel a few thoughts.

"What?" you asked and he looked up, surprised at your question before pushing the card towards you. You flipped it over but you saw the same quote: Be gentle with yourself. Only then, will you be able to set yourself free.

You were about to ask Jaehyun what he had said but the waitress had come to collect money for the meal and Jaehyun beat you to it, the male giving you a playful wink.

"Thanks," you said, tugging on your coat and pocketing the card. "So what do you think?"

"About the card?" he asked, shrugging. "I think it's a bunch of kids making a YouTube video, giving out happy quotes to lonely people in train stations and you were a victim. Wouldn't be surprised if I were to see your face on a prank channel."

He waved a hand in front of him. "What will people do if they are given a touching quote in a card? Cue the crying weeps."

"I did not cry, though," you pointed out and he scrunched his nose up at you.

"Well then. I guess you won't make the cut. They always go for those who have big reactions," he said to you, shrugging. "That being said, how are you and Doyoung?"

You inhale, shrugging.

"You keep forgetting that we're in the same social circle. People think you are crazy for not knowing what is going on when it's right in front of you," Jaehyun said to me, a comforting hand on your back. "How long are you going to act like nothing is happening?"

You sigh, not wanting to have a full-blown conversation about your cheating husband.

"He doesn't deserve you," Jaehyun said from beside you. He had a hand up, trying to hail a cab to take you both back to the office. "You know that."

"Maybe you should have opposed my wedding then, Jae," you said to him and he blushed pink. His ears turned red and you absentmindedly reached up to tweak them between your fingers.

"As the card said, I'm not as brave when it comes to you," Jaehyun replied and you frowned, wondering what he was talking about.

"What do you mean? The card says to be gentle with myself-"

"It's here. Get in. We have a meeting by one p.m," Jaehyun said, a hand on your head so you wouldn't get hurt, Jaehyun climbing in after you. "PCS Tower, please."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________