the courage

-

The next time you found yourself at the train station was in broad daylight, people bustling towards the open entrances and long lines of people waiting for their turn

The next time you found yourself at the train station was in broad daylight, people bustling towards the open entrances and long lines of people waiting for their turn. You had a bad day, that was why you were at the train station on a Sunday. You had seen text messages between Doyoung and the woman while he was in the shower.

It was one thing knowing it was happening and it was another reading the messages with your own two eyes. She said she 'loved him, too'. Too. That word made all the difference because it meant that he said it first.

He had never said it to you. He would find ways to make you feel special without saying it and deep down, you knew he didn't. Simply because he didn't love you.

You sat at the train station, fiddling with the old watch you always kept on your wrist when a familiar voice greeted you. You looked up, the same man with his orange hair and train conductor's hat. He stuck out like a sore thumb but not one person gave him a glance.

"Hi," he said with the same smile.

"Hi," you answer, your voice cracking when he sighed.

"Man, you're a hard one," he said softly. "A hard one to break."

"Sorry?" You had no idea what he was talking about, the male tilting his head at you.

"Do you want to get on?" he asked and you blinked. "The Train of Life. I can't force people on unless they want to. It's a rule. Believe me, I've tried."

"Tried?" Your mind was reeling, the male undoing a button and flashing me a name tag.

"I'm Conductor Zhong Chenle," he told me. "The Conductor of The Train of Life." He paused and made a face. "That was a mouthful. Let me try again."

You watched him. He straightened his back and stared straight at you before bending down into a low bow.

"My name is Zhong Chenle and I am the train conductor of The Train of Life," he repeated and you wondered what the difference was from what he first said. "Uh-uh, it is different, my dear. Now, do you want to get on?"

"On where?" You were more confused than you ever were before. Did he just read your mind or did you say your thoughts out loud? The more he talked, the more bewildered you were. He pressed his lips together, blinking rapidly. He looked like he was trying to mask his frustration.

"The one thing they did not teach me back in my intern days were how to deal with possible tough passengers," he murmured. He said your name and your jaw dropped open. "One day you will find the courage to get on and don't you think that day is today?"

"How did you know my name?"

"The hardest part is starting, Miss," he said. This time his smile was kind and he opened his hand, stretching it out in front of you. "It's a journey to die for. Ooh, wait. I shouldn't say that. I mean, it's a great journey except it feels like you're going through time and space."

He talked a lot, the image of a mysterious train conductor disappearing from your mind when he kept his hand where it was.

"Take my hand," he finally concluded and something in you clicked, your hand stretching out and grabbing his. The joy in eyes were evident and he let out a whoop, beaming at you. "Finally. That will definitely go on my record. Come, lady. Let's bring you to where you need to be."

"And where is that?" you asked but he didn't answer because he was pulling you through the station. His hand felt light-like it was there but also like it wasn't. You wondered what you were doing and you were about to snatch your hand away but he tightened it, Chenle turning to smile at you.

"It's always hard at first but I assure you all will be well," he said loudly over the arriving sound of the train. You were at the front of the train station, the air blowing the strands of your hair everywhere when Chenle let go of your hand.

Chenle snapped his steel heels against each other, the clack echoing through out the empty train station.

Wait. Empty?

Where were all the people? You whipped your head around and realized you weren't at the same train station when Chenle called for you to get on.

Your legs brought you onto the train and when you entered, you noticed that everything looked different. It was an old train and there were no windows. The seats were dusty and you tightened your coat around your body when Chenle tapped his walking stick to the side and the train began moving.

"Welcome aboard, my lady," he said to you with a flair in the way he spoke. "To The Train of Life."