Chapter 10: In Hope's Name

"What's the matter, Nanami-san?" Chisa asked as she and Chiaki went down the hall.

"Um... Is this really the right way?" Chiaki sounded unsure. "We've walked pretty far."

"We're almost there. Just a little farther, and we'll meet up with everyone else." Seeing her still-worried look, Chisa turned back and put and hand on Chiaki's cheek in reassurance. "Our class rep looking so uneasy is a matter of serious concern." Chiaki's frown soon disappeared, being replaced with a smile. Chisa turned forward and continued walking down the hallway. "Now, off we go!"

"Okay!" Chiaki followed suit.

/—/

The group had finished going down the stairs and they were now walking down the bright, futuristic-looking hallway.

Katsumi suddenly flinched from a sharp pain in her head, stumbling just a bit. What the...?

"Huh?" Fuyuhiko, who was right behind her, noticed it first. "Hirata, you all right?"

"Y-Yeah." Katsumi continued walking forward again, rubbing her head a little. The pain had vanished.

Could it be the depressant drug? I guess it's about time that it took effect. Any drug or medication can come with potential side effects, so it would make sense. It shouldn't be too much to worry about, though now I guess I won't have time to conduct the test with Mitarai-kun's video because of this... I guess it can't be helped...

"I'm sorry...! Please wait!" Mikan, who must have been lagging behind, was catching up to them with rushed footsteps.

"Hm?" Katsumi turned her head to see her. Her eyes scanned the group, quickly noticing something. She stopped, causing the entire group to halt as well. "Ah... Tsumiki-san... where's Nanami-san?"

"Oh, if you're looking for Nanami-san, she twisted her ankle, so she's resting in a room a little ways back. She'll catch up with us in no time."

"As expected of the Super High School-Level Nurse!" Mahiru gave some words of encouragement.

Hiyoko spoke up. "Once in a while, the pukey..." A quick reminder stare from Katsumi, though blank, gave her the message. She formed her lips into a pout, giving a side-eye. "...Once in a while, I guess she can come in handy."

"Ehe..." Mikan looked giddy at the praise.

Katsumi titled her head. "But... isn't leaving Nanami-san all by herself a bad idea? Anything could happen."

"Nanami-san should be fine on her own... I don't think there's any need."

"Huh? But we can't be sure—"

"Yeah! Tsumiki's right!" Akane agreed. "This is our class rep Nanami we're talkin' about, right? We shouldn't underestimate her!"

Katsumi frowned a little as she watched the rest of the class give similar comments and nods of agreement. I... I guess they're right... It's Nanami-san. I shouldn't treat her like someone weak. But... I don't know though...

On an unrelated note, she couldn't help but break a little sweat. She spoke up again. "If that's the case, I feel like that room would be a good place to put Komaeda-kun." She went into a mutter. "Carrying anybody for this long would be tiring..."