Part 2

Her phone continued to blow up with notifications from friends, family, and even acquaintances she hadn't spoken to in years reaching out to assure her that they believed that she would never cheat on her spouse and that the whole scandal was a sham.

It reassured her that some people still trusted her and believed that she was still good at heart, even though the rest of the world questioned it. She tried to convince herself that it didn't matter what the world thought and it only mattered that the people closest to her still believed in her integrity, but as the dirty looks of passersby intensified, Marinette found it harder and harder to keep that line of thinking on track.

Once she entered the house, her phone pressed to her ear, Marinette kicked off her high heel shoes and flopped on the couch pathetically.

"And I really am sorry, Marinette," Nadja's voice projected through her phone. "I know you would never cheat on your husband, but the story was just too good to pass up. Don't worry though. I'm sure the heat will pass in a few days and everyone will forget it ever happened!"

"Mmhh." Marinette pursed her lips. She was still angry, but she really didn't have the energy to start a fight.

"Again, Marinette, I do apologize for whatever stress may come from this. If you want, I can talk to Adrien and assure him that the story really doesn't mean anything," Nadja added. "I—"

"That really won't be necessary. I think you've done enough, Nadja," Marinette cut in abruptly stopping the older reporter.

"Oh," Nadja paused for a moment and her voice sounded incredibly guilty. "I don't think I can ever apologize enough."

Marinette softened at the guilt and she rubbed her eyes tiredly as she leaned back into the couch. "It's alright, Nadja. You're a reporter and it's your job to report on things like this. I understand even though I admit, I was hurt when I saw the news. But my relationship with Adrien is stronger than the rumor mill." She hesitated before adding, "And so is Chat Noir and Ladybug's relationship... I'm sure."

After she finished saying her goodbyes and giving her love to Manon, Marinette cut off the phone, throwing it to the other side of the couch. She sighed once more as she had a feeling that this was going to be a very long week. Once she heard the news at work, her co-workers insisted she take the rest of the day off and spend some time away from the public eye. Marinette had reluctantly agreed, but still insisted on working from home.

She pulled off her stockings and got off the couch to make herself a cup of steaming hot tea, one of the few things she could actually tolerate nowadays. Once she was changed into a soft, stretchy pair of sweatpants and a baggy shirt, feeling more comfortable, she settled back down and pulled out her notebook to work out a couple of the finishing touches on her designs.

As she sketched, she couldn't help but let her mind wander off to her husband who was currently at work. She wondered if he had heard the news and how he reacted to it.