Part 4

Two sets of wide eyes and gaping mouths turned comically from their gaze of the fire escape to the girl with mussed up hair and wrinkled clothes that had been haphazardly thrown back on.

Alya was the first to break the silence. "Hi?" she said, her voice low and threatening. "Hi? HI?"

"Umm..." Marinette turned even redder than before, shrinking into the couch. She wished to be anywhere but here. "I can explain," she said slowly, even though she knew there really was no possible way to explain without identities being revealed and secrets being exposed.

"What's there to explain?" Alya asked, her voice going from low and threatening to louder and more menacing. "Nino and I came to visit you after hearing all those rumors because we thought you would be upset that people thought you were cheating on your husband, but it actually turns out they were right? We just walked in on you having sex with Chat Noir!"

"We weren't..." Marinette stuttered. "It wasn't... I mean, we were kissing, but—"

"Dear god, are you really talking semantics right now? You were in a compromising position with a man that is not your husband." Alya had her hands on her hips and walked closer to her best friend in the whole world. "What the hell is wrong with you, Marinette? I thought you were better than this!"

"I—"

"I really, really thought you were better than this!" Alya threw her hands in the air and Marinette flinched. "Never in a million years would I have imagined—"

"How could you do this to Adrien?" Nino spoke up for the first time since the two of them barged in. "How do you think he'd feel?"

The two girls quieted immediately and turned to the man, who had silently put his hands in his pocket and dropped his head. While his wife was loud and vocal about her disappointment, Nino was quieter and more thoughtful. While Alya questioned Marinette's integrity, angered at her infidelity and her life choices, Nino was more concerned about his own best friend and how Adrien's feelings and future played into all of this.

Somehow, to Marinette, his silent disappointment felt worse.

She pictured Adrien with heartbroken eyes and quivering lips if he ever heard news that saddened him. She hated seeing the love of her life in misery. Despite knowing that Adrien would not be saddened by the fact that she was making out with him, Marinette felt tears well up in her eyes. Even the thought of being the cause of Adrien's pain caused her great anguish.

"Nino, you know I would never do anything to hurt Adrien," she sniffled.

"You won't," he said gruffly. "Not anymore. You tell him as soon as he gets home or I will."

"I..." Marinette closed her eyes, releasing the last of her tears. "Okay."