adore/

ok just listen to AM by arctic monkeys while reading this bc i listened to AM while writing this and it was beautiful ok bye

lovey dovey smut ahead bc i took so long to write this whoops hA

-

It's raining yet again and though Ashley hates the rain, she forgets all about it when she sees the smile on Ashton's face.

"I love the rain," he tells her as he drives and reaches for her hand. "Fuck, I'm sorry. Do I hold your hand too much?" He asks her, letting go of her hand, only making Ashley grab his again. It's odd to him, because it's not like he hasn't held hands with any other of his past girlfriends. Ashton isn't afraid of being affectionate after a while and is a sucker for PDA, but Ashley makes him question everything he does.

He likes her so much that it's like he doesn't know how to act around her. And he doesn't get it. Because Ashton isn't the type of guy who tends to get nervous around girls.

"No, don't be silly," Ashley laughs. "I like holding your hand," she tells him. It seems to her like the more time she spends with him and as the days go by, the more she learns new things about Ashton. She's learned that he can go from being angry to sweet and caring in just seconds. She's learned that he likes to hum along to the songs on the radio, even though they're incredibly overplayed. She's learned that he likes the rain almost more than anything besides music. She's learned that he likes holding hands almost everywhere they go, even in the car. And most of all, she's learned that there's still so much more that she's yet to learn about him.

By the time they make it to Ashton's, it's thundering and the rain is falling even harder. Ashley by this point doesn't even want to leave the car. She looks over at Ashton, who is gathering the vinyls he bought in his hands and stares at him.

"What are you thinking about?" Ashton asks her curiously when he notices the way she's staring at him. He doesn't mind, if anything, he likes it.

Ashley shakes her head, giving him a smile. "Nothing," she sighs. "I'm just thinking about how I don't wanna get out of the car."

"Here, hold these," Ashton tells her and hands her the vinyls. "You stay here. I'm gonna be back."

He then gets out of the car and walks to his front door. He doesn't even bother to run, he just walks and let's the rain soak his clothes and then walks into his apartment. Ashley waits patiently in the car and seconds later, Ashton comes out with an umbrella over his head.

Ashley laughs as he opens the door and holds his hand out for her to take. She kisses his cheek. "My hero," she giggles, making Ashton wrinkle his nose and they walk into his apartment together.

They leave their shoes by the front door and then head up to his room. The apartment is quiet as they walk down the small hallway, the only sounds are the rain outside and the thunder every now and then.

Ashton shuts the door, locks it, and then walks over to the window where he's got the record player on the floor. He sits down and then Ashley sits behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist. She watches as he sets everything up and then the first song on AM starts playing.

"I like this song," Ashley mumbles against the back of his shoulder. "So are you graduating next year or not?"

Ashton nods. "Yeah, I talked to my advisor and I'm graduating."

Ashley smiles widely. "Ashton, that's great. Congratulations," she says and he moves around so that he can face her. Suddenly she's on his lap and his arms are around her, while hers are around his shoulders.

He kisses her forehead. "Thank you," he whispers once he pulls away and smiles at her.

His kiss makes Ashley think of that time, so long ago, when he kissed her on the forehead after she was locked out of her apartment and he asked her to come in; when they were here, in his room, and he kissed her on the forehead after asking her if she wanted to stay away from him.