06

The drive back is quiet. Jacob rides shotgun. I stare out the windshield to avoid the sick feeling that is growing in my stomach.

"I didn't mean to take over your bed," I try to make conversation, to let that uncomfortable feeling slowly leak out of my stomach. "If you want to come home, I am more than happy to sleep on the couch."

"It's fine," Jacob says, too quickly. He sighs, and his head hits the seat rest.

"It'll be over soon," Embry reassures him. "We'll see Seth and-"

"The odds aren't in my favour," Jacob points out. "I've got a fifty-fifty shot."

I don't know what they are talking about, but the conversation trails away. I don't bother listening in anymore. My eyes are peeled but my ears might as well be turned off. I would turn them off entirely, but one of them might try to talk to me, and I don't want them to think I'm ignoring them. After all that they've done for me, I cannot be cruel to them.

When we roll back to the house there is one more car in the driveway than usual.

"Seems like they are here," Jacob points out.

Embry puts the car into park and gets out. He opens my door and offers me a hand, even though I'm mostly capable of getting out myself. Then, he turns his attention to Jacob and leads him into the house.

We go around to the backyard, where a fire crackles. It's getting dark out already, but not dark enough to see the stars. Quil rushes up to us and helps lead Jacob into his seat.

"I'm blind, not helpless," Jacob says, sitting down and shooing them away.

I stifle a giggle. I look at the other two across the campfire. There's a boy, who I assume is Seth, who smiles at me. He offers a polite wave.

"Hey, you must be Fawn," he says. "I'm Seth, and this is my sister, Leah."

His stare is pretty intense, so I nod but look away.

The girl looking at me, Leah, is frowning. Her eyes narrow in on me, eyeing me up. I suddenly feel self-conscious. She is wearing a jean jacket and pants, the only sensible one here. Even if the others aren't cold, they are going to get nipped by bugs.

"You mute as well as deaf?" Leah asks.

I flinch, "excuse me?"

"I'm just messing with you," she smiles, brushing me off. I do not join her in grinning. "Sit."

I obey her command, joining the others in sitting around the fire. The only open spot is between Embry and Seth, so I take it.

I notice Seth shaking his head at Embry.

"So, what brings you to town?" Leah asks. "Like, how'd you find out about La Push?"

It sounds crazy now, but I remember the day. I was in the public library, the first place to which I had escaped. My time was limited, but I needed a direction to go. South or East or West. Something. So, I looked up what I thought, at the time, made the most sense.

"Forks is the rainiest place in the continental USA," I answer.

Leah scoffs. "Yeah, but I wouldn't call that a perk."

"I like the rain," Seth points out. "It's growing on me. I just hate being wet."

"A little bit contradictory, don't you think?" Quil laughs, patting Seth on the back. Leah simply frowns, crossing her arms over her chest.