17

After we pull into the driveway, I sprint into the house. Embry is quick to follow after me. I run over to the room that I've been staying in, and pack everything in the backpack I had, only barely trying not to squish my important documents.

There are footsteps on the stairs, and they are slow.

"You're back early," I'm relieved to hear Jacob's voice. I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't him. Still, I ignore him, continuing to pack.

Embry stands in the doorway, watching me, "Fawn, where are you going?"

"You're going to drive me to the train station," I tell them. "I need to disappear."

As I get up, I move into the living room. Jacob is standing there, waiting for me. His brow is furrowed behind his sunglasses. "What happened?"

"I just need to go," I insist. They'll never believe me. No matter what I tell them. "It doesn't matter why. I'm done in La Push."

"She found you," Jacob says. "She got to you, didn't she?"

"Do you know her?" I ask, incredulous. I don't know who this vampire is, but she knows me. Undoubtedly, she's an enemy of my parents who has come to avenge someone or something.

Oh no. The convent was right. Vampires are real.

"I don't know her," he says.

I go to leave, but Embry blocks me.

"This is crazy!" I shout. "You don't get to hold me hostage."

"We can keep you safe," Embry says. "What happened?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," I say. I duck under Embry's arm and this time he doesn't try to stop me.

I run past him, my hand wraps around the doorhandle. Once again, I am leaving everything behind. Unlike the last time though, I'm afraid.

Jacob sighs, "Fawn, she'll find you. She'll smell you out. You cannot outrun her."

I freeze. Everything, including my heart, is still. As my body awakes from its icy slumber, I turn around to face him. "Excuse me?"

"She can't attack you if you are around us," he says.

I shake my head. That's not what he said. He said that she'll smell me out.

He knows.

I strut over to him, my fist balled. I want to shove him. I want to slap him in the face. I do none of those things. My hands itch for violence. It's part of the problem with being taught to be a killing machine. The answer to every confrontation is a fist.

"You knew," I tell him. "You knew all along, and you didn't tell me. How?"

My mind wanders back to the cold-handed Cullens, with their amber eyes and their pale complexions. None of them were injured in the car crash. They were able to move the car just by pushing it. Alice practically ripped the door off its hinges.

"Fawn," Jacob begins.

He reaches a hand out in my direction, but I swipe it away.

"What exactly do you know?" Embry asks.

"That fucking vampires are real!" I shout. "For fuck's sake, Embry. Get with the program."

Embry ducks his head, looking down at his feet. He refuses to meet my eyes, and Jacob cannot, so I feel like I'm not adequately confronting them. I feel like I'm shouting at the air, rather than at people who wronged me.