|Chapter 1: An Empty House.|

Maybe he wasn't supposed to be here. Perhaps he should have been left in the thick trees of the woods.

Dave was zoned out again, lost in thought. His hand twitched, hovering above the quill he was writing with before he had gone to look out the small window.

About 15 years ago, he had been taken in by Henry Miller, a pink-tinted goblin. From what Henry had told him, he had found him on the outskirts of the nearby forest.

What would have happened if he hadn't taken me in? Would I still be aliv-

"WILLIAM!"

Dave jumped up immediately in response to his name being called. Stumbling to organize his scattered papers and boxes, he ran off to the hall he knew oh-so-well. Turning into the dining room, he stopped himself, taking in long breaths.

The dining room was a small square room with a long wooden table in the middle. There were multiple things hanging on the walls, such as pictures, expensive paintings and decorative cabinets. The entire room was lined with sleek wooden flooring, while the walls were painted a dark burgundy. It was one of the fanciest rooms in the house, yet it was rarely used, as not many came over to visit.

"Y-You called, father?" Dave wheezed after a few seconds of silence, his long arms holding the doorframe. Henry stared at him with an unimpressed glance, an expression Dave was far too used to at his current age. "Yes. I did." Henry said coldly. "And what did I tell you about running down the hall, William?" He remarked with a hint of anger, noting Dave's slight lack of air when he entered the room. Dave winced. "..Sorry, father."

"Anyways, I've called you here for a good reason." Henry began, tapping the shiny wooden table with his fingers. Dave rolled his eyes, fixing his posture. Everything is a "good reason" apparently.

"Go on." Henry frowned at him before continuing. "I need you to go to the village of Balo for me." Dave scowled. Balo was a small Goblin village in the near plains of the matching river. Henry tended to send Dave on trips around the Goblin villages, which he normally accepted as a way to get away from his father. However this time was different. The village was a long way away, and would take a week to get to, and another back. "What? But that's a week away!" Dave cried, not wanting to disappear for another two weeks after only just getting back from a six day journey.

Henry looked up at Dave, scowling. "And? You're used to going on some stupid trips everywhere William, aren't you?" Henry questioned, putting his hands together on the table. "I- Well- That doesn't mean I want to go on this stupid journey! I just got back not too long ago from that six day journey you sent me on." Dave frowned at Henry. Since he was seven, he had been sent outside to go get different assortments of things for his father. By this time, he knew most of the area around the south, his home, but not much past.

Henry snorted. "You'll be fine. Now stop over-reacting and go get food from the pantry and some fresh clothes for the journey." He said in an orderly tone, making it sound more of a demand then an request. Dave began muttering curses under his breath while leaving the dining room.

Walking down the hall towards his room, Dave went over the conversation in his head. Upon finally reaching his room, Dave flopped onto the bed like a dead body. Not that he's far from being one himself, with his slightly purple-tinted skin and bright blue eyes. He let out a small exhale, curling his hands into tight fists. He had lived in this house for god knows how long with Henry, although he still couldn't call it "home". Getting kicked out of the house when he was younger was a normal occurrence, and the forests were more of a home to him then this old, empty house. His brows furrowed out of frustration.

Since he was young, Henry had always used his weaknesses to get the better of him. Manipulative bastard. Despite knowing that Henry wasn't the best parent, he had never tried to leave, despite his many chances throughout the years with his journeys. Dave paused. After all those years, he had never once thought of just.. not returning to the house. He sat up slowly, a lopsided grin melting upon his face.

He could just ran away from this hell-hole, and there's nothing Henry could do to stop him.