Part 1 - Sh*t

Shit

Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit.

Okay. So, I actually hated high school. I was the golden child held to a higher standard, which I pretended not to care about. (But of course I also drove myself mad trying to attain that near impossible image.) And then in junior year something happened, and I had to...conveniently not attend...school. The fallout of my decisions had been...decidedly not very cash money.

Gosh, I know I'm boring you, just hang in there.

So, I dropped out. It wasn't pretty. Suffice it to say that it was the most stressed I'd ever been. I lost my already dwindling friend group. I could sense my immediate family's disappointment. I didn't go to extended family events, for fear of having to expain. I dreaded the day I'd be put to that standard again, with excess catch up work to do.

Then, before the next school year, the old cliché happened. You know the drill. Boy meets girl, boy and girl have several babies, boy and girl value hard work and education above all, boy and girl suddenly move their family across the country to escape their middle child's blunder, boy and-

Okay, it's getting away from me, I'm talking about my parents.

Anyways! We'd sold our old home practically overnight, and my parents hauled ass in their light blue Honda Civic (not sponsored) to plop us into a giant, lush place in uptown suburbia, brimming with colors, life, and lights. Orchidland.

It wasn't quite a big city. That'd be too big a jump, my parents had concluded. It was somewhere in the middle of the tiny town with a population of 2,000 from whence we came and a slightly larger city. You know, like the ones that aren't quite New Yorkie, but they're where lower middle class people go for vacations, like maybe Alanis, if that's one of those places-

Sorry. Moving on.

My parents had found a special program for me. Concurrent enrollment at both Orchidland Community College and New Leaf High School. Essentially (as they'd drilled during the registration process), I'd do college classes for both college and double the high school credits. This time it went on my college record instead of my high school one. This time it was truly life ruining for me to fuck up.

Nevermind the fact that my parents had lied during registration, saying I'd simply started kindergarten later than most to get me into New Leaf, which had a strict no grade repeaters policy...

Which is why on the morning of my first day of mandatory orientation, leaving behind a hastily and half unpacked new bedroom, I cursed as I ran towards a bus that was already speeding away.

Shit.

I looked around frantically, searching for who knows what. Maybe another bus to pop out of thin air? Maybe a dashing, hot stranger to grab the same book as me (even though that would be weird because I only had my own orientation booklet, and if a stranger grabbed it I'd simply have to intervene), and then we'd teasingly fight over it, but I'd let them win because I'm nice like that, and-