XI

SHELINA

We got back to London two days after the selfie, and for some reason I couldn't just stop looking at that picture, as well as the one we took behind the wheel here in London a few weeks ago. Her smile is so cute, I think to myself, wondering if I would've thought it was weird to think that of a person if she was a man. The more I'd think about it, the more blurry my thoughts would get about this whole thing. 

Finally, the Team Canada camp, to which I was leaving the same day, in a few hours, had a good timing: I really needed to clear my mind and figure some things out. 

The last training we got before leaving was quite intense: ever since the camp in Dubaï, the team atmosphere got a lot more better, and some true bonds had occurred between the players. It was a true pleasure to play here, and I almost felt like I've found my place. But something was occupying my mind - or rather, someone: why couldn't I stop thinking about her? Even during training, my mind would sometimes disconnect from the game I am playing because she was near, and it would take me full seconds to realise it and focus back again. 

At the end of the session, I sit down on the grass in a circle with my teammates, next to Alanna, who immediately feels something is off.

"You 'kay, mate?" she asks in her strong and delightful Australian accent, truly concerned.

I nod.

"Yah, I'm just... stressed out about the national team camp" I lie.

"Since when?" the blonde asks, not buying any of it. Realising that my eyes would sometimes stare at Rosella for no reason (I mean, she was laughing with her friends, not paying attention to me at all), Alanna's eyes sparkle as she adds: "Are you sure it isn't because of a certain brunette ?"

Feeling my heart skip a few beats, I immediately shake my head in denial.

"Why would you say that?" I ask, quite aggressive.

Alanna shrugs:

"Yeah, why would I, you think ?" 

Our conversation is cut short as the team moves to the locker rooms in order to shower. I decide, on purpose, not to shower at the same time than Rosella, feeling like I would just be staring at her creepily for no apparent reason. 

Once my hair are almost dry and that I am dressed again, I am the only one remaining in the locker rooms - I mean, this is the curse of having hair as long as mine, I guess - I walk out of there, sighing. 

My throat then turns sore: Rosella had waited for me, a smirk on her face. 

"Wow, I'll almost forget how slow to shower you are while you're away" she exclaims, obviously messing with me.

I smirk as well, holding a laugh back. 

"Like I said before: it's not the shower that takes time, it's-"

"- everything having to do with my hair and makeup, you amateur" Rosella finished my sentence, imitating me perfectly this time - even the accent. As I crack a smile, she adds: "Anyway, I just wanted to say goodbye before you leave tonight."

My heart does summersaults inside my chest, as my brain starts heartening. She stares at me strangely, as if I was about to die or something. 

Realising that I'd been holding my breath for too long, I just let it out and smile awkwardly.

"That's very nice of you" I just comment, not finding any other word.

Seeing her frown, I know she's realised something was wrong - I mean, how could she not ? Have you seen my panicked face right now?