XXIX

SHELINA

Today's training was quite intense - not only because it was my last before I leave in three days for a whole month, but also because I was feeling like something had changed in Rosella: she was colder, more distant, as if she was feeling like my departure would cause our relationship's death. 

Right after it, as I was removing my cleats sitting on the ground, fighting against the tears, I can hear the girls grow silent, as Alanna gets up and declares:

"My dear teammates and friends, today was the last training of our wonderful captain, She-She The Queen, The Legend, The Ultimate Captain: round of applause please!" (as everybody start cheering enthusiastically, including Rosella who still did not dare to look at me, the Australian quickly gains the teammates' attention again, continuing:) "As much as all of us would wish you good luck from the heart, we thought it would be more appropriate for you to get a parting gift that would actually make you feel so good you'd have no choice but to go win that Gold !" (once again, everybody cheer, as Rosella starts looking my way, before Alanna resumes:) "Josie, will you get up on the centre stage to reward our beloved Shelina with her parting gift?"

Under the laughs of our teammates and the general amusement about the blush now appearing on my face because I was the centre of attention, Josie quickly joins Alanna's side, before dramatically bowing out and winking at me.

Once the silence is established again, she states:

"Shelina, the Almighty Defender, the Goddess of Endless Hair, the local star... we thought there would be no better way for you to enjoy those last three days of calm before the storm with your lady lover, our dear Rebel Roz: therefore, the whole team participated on a two-nights stay in a five star hotel right here in London - the Piccadilly London West End!" (as my face starts showing how uneasy yet happy/traumatised/shy I was, the girls applaud, as Alanna hugs me tight, before the British woman continues:) "Lovebirds... your taxi and luggages are waiting for you outside the training grounds - Shelina, we love you, and we'll be behind you."

In shock, I just turn toward Rosella, who was all smiles - of course she was behind this all, hence she was so weird earlier. Cracking a smile, I just wink at her before hugging each and every one of my teammates, before finally getting to Rosella.

While she takes me in her arms, I whisper in her ears:

"I love you."

***

The airport was busier than usual, as my flight for joining the National Team's preparation camp for the Tokyo Olympics was set to leave in two hours or so. Rosella parked the car near the taxis spots, and I could feel her sadness yet excitement - those past few days just the two of us just gave me enough strength for the whole competition, and I was never this ready for a championship in my life, because I know I compete for more than myself - I have to make my girlfriend proud.

After checking in my luggages, I walk out of the airport again, as I still had 10 minutes or so before having to go for good. I join Rosella near her car, and I don't leave her any time to say anything before wrapping my arms around her neck and kissing her passionately. Quite surprised, she still responds with the same intensity, before I pull away while feeling her arm getting wrapped around my waist.

Our noses and forehead touch in turn, as I whisper:

"Your support means everything to me..."

"Well, rockstar, you better not come home without a medal, 'cause I won't let you in - I mean, if you leave me for a month, you better make it count, and a medal would be a good reason" Rosella lets out with a smirk on her face.

I raise my eyebrows.

"So, no medal equals me being homeless?"

"Exactly" the brunette answers, before pecking my lips. Right after she does, she adds: "There is no doubt in my mind you ain't coming home with your hands full. Just, don't forget about me while you're gone, 'kay?"

A sweet laugh gets out of my throat, as she stares at me in surprise. Blushing like hell, I just caress her jaw slowly, before conceding:

"Impossible"

The smile on Rosella's lips at the moment, as well as the look in her eyes that just changed, were speaking louder than words ever could.

She bites her lips, before whispering:

"Make me proud out there, 'kay?"

I nod.

"Can I call you, like... every day?" I then ask, feeling stupid for even asking her to be put behind her phone every day. She frowns, but her eyes don't change, as I add: "I-I mean, it's just... I'm gonna miss you really badly, a-a-and it'd be great if we just... y'know, talk about our days, and then you'll tell me jokes 'cause you'll see how stressed I'll be, a-a-and..."

"Shelina" she interrupts me, before leaning in closer. Right before her lips touch mine - exactly what I am craving for - she whispers: "I thought it was already settled without us having to talk about it: I cannot go a day without seeing your face."

Sighing in relief, I make a fake-angry face, as she bursts into laughter. 

"Now, it's time to go superstar" she whispers again.

As soon as those words leave her mouth, I close the gap between us, our lips and tongues dancing together for a few minutes - never in my life had a kiss meant so much at a deeper level, and never before have I felt something so strong toward her. I mean, I never would've missed someone the way I'll miss her in my life, and the need to be close to her or at least seeing her and being in contact every single day meant everything on my part.

When I start walking away, turning around every two seconds, I see her with her arms crossed, sometime waving at me, with that meaningful look in her eyes that meant the world to me: she would be waiting for me as I will be waiting to come back to her. 

I get on the plane with my heart full, and my mind ready for the journey ahead - all that because I knew I have someone worth fighting for in my life now.