The trials part 2

Shirou swallowed, a faint trace of nervousness flashing across his face as his gaze swept across the unmoving spectators and examinees, even Griselda was included. Her face, although misleadingly blank, revealed her incredulousness. The observation was based on the type of image the woman portrayed to the world: upstanding, orderly, and devote. Up till now, her pacing had never been broken. After ten seconds, she should have called for the next examinee regardless of the result. She had done so for her own daughter, and should have done so for him, but he was apparently different.

Still, the fact that she and most of the other clergy could control their emotions so well was something Xenovia and many other examinees could learn from.

Xenovia was standing there, perhaps unable to realize that her mouth was partially open and no sound was coming out. It was the kind of reaction he couldn't have expected to see on her face, her expression naturally resolute and business like. Which was why when she noticed his gaze, she immediately clamped her mouth shut; her face flushing before she promptly found interest in the craftsmanship of the tiled floors.

Ironically, if she could just display the same bout of emotion on a regular basis, most people would have no problems approaching the 'untouchable' woman. Unbeatable in any duel, straight faced, and unaccustomed to social norms, she was perceived to be at the pinnacle of a 'stand alone complex'. However, the truth of reality was far different.

She wanted to make friends.

She didn't want to be alone.

But she was still a Quarta, a name he had come to realize was just as renowned as the Pope himself. Griselda Quarta was famous. Not only for her phenomenal ability with a sword as mentioned in the rumours, but because of her relations to Heaven and its Angels.

Angels.

It was still a term that was hard to wrap around his mind, but if Devils existed, then Angels must too.

Still though, friends or no friends, it didn't stop Xenovia from performing at her best.

It was only after several days of training with her did he notice any changes in her usual expression. The lightening of her eyes, and the way her lips would unknowingly part into a thin smile whenever she thought he wasn't looking; it was all a far cry from the distant and envious look he had once spotted hidden in her eyes as she stared at the occupied training fields.

Admittedly, she was beautiful when she smiled. It seemed to contain what could only be described as childish glee combined with the refinement of a young woman. Her face lively and a certain aura of playfulness exuding from her, leading many to pause and rub their eyes in disbelief in the previous weeks. Even he was effected by it, but nonetheless, this certainly wasn't the time to ponder on it.

"Pass," Griselda's voice echoed in the silence of the Church's inner chamber before the rest of the clergy soon regained their bearings. "Please join the rest of the examinees lined up on the far wall," she spoke clearly.

Nodding his head, he quickly did as was instructed to avoid all the attention, but contrary to his beliefs, the gazes only followed him even after he made himself as discreet as possible. The hushed whispers couldn't have been anymore obvious either.

Xenovia elbowed him from the side, and nodded in approval as their gazes met. She didn't speak as no words needed to be said to convey her sentiments. A job well done.