homesick

In which you and Louis are forced to celebrate your anniversary away from each other, but Louis finds a way to somehow still be close to you.

*******

You and Louis had been together for exactly 2 years today, but no part of you felt like celebrating. Who would want to celebrate their anniversary without their partner, their soulmate anyway? The only thing you really felt like was curling up into a ball on your bed, hiding under the fluffy blanket, waiting for Louis to finally come home to you.

During the whole two years of your relationship, the two of you had never been apart for longer than a weekend, but now that Louis got his new job, he had to travel a lot. It was shitty for sure, but the job paid well, and the both of you could really use the money. After you got engaged only 6 months ago you two planned on starting a family soon after the wedding, but in order to do that, you'd need a stable income. While the costs for the wedding ceremony are being covered by your parents, a baby would cost you a fortune that you unfortunately didn't have right now. Your job paid decently, but it wasn't enough to stem all expenses on your own, so Louis didn't have to think twice when this new opportunity came around.

With a sigh you got up from the couch and made your way into the kitchen to get yourself a fresh bottle of water along with a bowl of some buttered popcorn. Binge watching Grey's Anatomy pretty much called for a snack. When one of your hands shot up to grab the fridge door handle, your eyes instantly fixated on something else. The small, square polaroid picture stuck to the shiny, silver fridge door suddenly stood out to you like a sore thumb. It showed you smiling widely into the camera, while Louis stood behind you, his chin resting on your shoulder while his arms were tightly wrapped around your waist.

You couldn't help but smile at the memories of that day.

The picture was taken on your 1st anniversary when Louis took you out to the same restaurant that you went to on your first date. It got pretty late that night, so as the two of you strolled through the dark streets of London – because Louis obviously insisted on escorting you home like the gentleman he is – you spotted a small frozen yogurt shop that was still open at such a late hour.

Louis immediately dragged you into the shop once he saw how your eyes lit up at the sight of it. You decided to share a strawberry flavoured one, and that was the story of the night in which Louis knew you were the one. You forever associated strawberry flavour and frozen yoghurt with each other. In fact, you each even got a little strawberry tattooed together. While his is in the middle of his arm amongst all of his other ink, you decided to put yours above your hip bone, hidden away a bit more almost like you wanted it to be something exclusively between the two of you.

With your mood hitting rock bottom now, you decided to just grab a bottle of water from the fridge and postpone your binge watch marathon to another day.

How could you possibly handle Meredith and Derek being all in love on your screen now if you were missing Louis so much it hurt?

Instead of going back to the living room, you decided to head to your bedroom instead. The air in the room was cool due to the fact that you left the window open for hours. You were about to go and close it when you suddenly heard the familiar sound of an incoming FaceTime call coming from your macbook.