Chapter Seven

"Remember us,"

Agnetha always heard this line. A soft, old voice that only brought fear to her mind. The noises of horses clambering and the swords clashing made her skin crawl. Her eyes were shut, and yet her mind was wide open. The voice seeps into her mind, a vision from long ago constantly reminded her. The cold ground did not even bother her mind, and neither did the presence of her escorts even bother her. 

"Remember us Agnetha..." the voice cried out again. Agnetha breathed heavily, a few tears pouring out from her eye, as her face has guilt in it. Clutching her cloth, she grimaces as her tears continued to pour out.

Just then, a dagger dangled at her neck. Harold had always thought about ending this 'problem' of his, but it was only now that he realized he must do it now. He had looked around already, as no one was there to stop him. He did not even think of what his uncle would say. He only wanted this nightmare to end immediately.

Harold slowly laid his dagger next to Agnetha, who was still stuck in her dreams. His short panting indicates that he still has doubts. What doubt is there, Harold thought, as he bring himself to finish the job. 

"Harold!" Edwin said, which startled Harold as his dagger slipped out of his hand. Agnetha's eyes opened as she got up all of a sudden. Harold saw Edwin with disdain as he also saw the Nordic lady get up in surprise. A sudden impulse to slap his cousin had to be tempered. 

"Stupid bastard," Harold whispered angrily. Edwin looked rather confused, as it looked as if he did nothing wrong. "What were you doing?" Edwin asked his cousin, his tone suggesting that the latter was up to something.

"What do you think? Blades don't sharpen themselves!" Harold said as he took up his dagger. "My lady," he mockingly greets Agnetha as he walked away. Harold could not bring himself to look at her further.  Agnetha looked at him, not sure how to react to him. After all, she was the one who brought him this predicament. 

"Don't bother him, he can be a real bitch sometimes," Edwin said, soft enough so that Harold could not hear him. Agnetha gave a slight smirk at him, which prompted Edwin to do the same, only for him to snap back to his senses.

"Do you two always fight with each other?" Agnetha asked Edwin.

"Training and banter, yes, very much so," Edwin replied. "He always acts so great of himself; it's easy to pick a fight with a man like that,"

"I can see that," Agnetha said, as Edwin put on his shield for the day. Only thirty-nine more days ahead for the journey, Edwin thought. 

After the brief skirmish yesterday, they knew very well that they could not take the open road. The woods were then their only choice, as well as a means of escape. But John and his children knew very little of the local terrain, straying from it as far as possible as they were more familiar with the road. 

"North... North," John said under his breath, as the rest followed him blindly. Sure enough, John stopped, as if a deer taking a peek outside. Harold at the back looked at him, confused as he saw his uncle taking deep breaths. As if north was an enigma for them.

"You happen to know much about the woods, don't you Agnetha?" John asked as the Lady was right behind her. Agnetha looked at him weirdly, as she did not know what to say. "You said that you have stayed in Nordlund for seasons?" Agnetha replied.

"The road, we always use the road," John replied back, mostly in anger to hide his flawed navigation.  " It only made sense for her to guide them since they were escorting her. "Normally, it would be the others who would guide me," Agnetha replied. 

"But you do know where Klarelva is?" John asked.

Agnetha nodded her head. "I should know, very big river in my nation," Agnetha said. "It is the bedrock of my people. How could a nation be founded without a river?" Edwin did understand what she said. Westhaven too was founded with rivers as foundations. Water brings life to all.