Chapter Nine

The group knew they didn't have much time. By lingering around the streets, Harold and Edwin knew that the word of them running amok had reached everyone. They knew that if they stayed there a bit longer, it would only take moments for the authorities to catch them.

For John, it was an easy decision to make. "We leave by sunrise tomorrow," John said. Everyone knew that he would say that. In fact, Harold was rather surprised that they were rather delayed.

"Why not now?" Harold said to his uncle in their room. The only reason why Harold didn't shout was out of fear that others would listen.

"I've overheard the guards; they are beginning to suspect that we are the ones that they are searching for," John said to the group. Agnetha always looked all the more worried, which made Edwin notice her. Edwin merely shook his head, knowing that Harold's excuse could only hold for so long.

"So, all the more reason to leave now," Harold said.

"And how do we get past the guards?" John replied, having enough of his nephew's temper. "The moment they will see our faces, they will catch us straight away,"

Harold stood there dumbfounded. He knew his uncle was quite right, so much so that he actually agreed with him. But then, he did remember whom he talked to in the morning.

"Perhaps I know someone that can help us, an Eldunian man who is a peculiar thief," Harold said. John's eyes lit up; the word 'someone' either infuriated him or intrigued him. "You told someone about our plan?" John demanded angrily.

"Not precisely, I told him it was just mercenary work," Harold retorted. "He seems to know a lot more about this place,"

"What is he exactly?" John asked precisely. "A man from Eldunia, calls himself Faizal," Harold explained as John was only more confused. Why would someone from a faraway land want to do business here?

"An Eldunian? Why should we employ his services?" John asked once again. He never liked the idea of having another man in his group. Means have to share more, or worse."He seems to be a very coy thief; we could use someone like that," Harold stated.

"Someone who can help us sneak past the guards?" Edwin asked, who was beginning to catch up on what he was saying.

"Precisely, they won't even notice," Harold said with confidence. His uncle did not find much to object to, but he was still hesitant nonetheless. It's either that or direct combat. And John knew that since Jernby is such a heavily populated town, they would be overwhelmed with guards for sure. 

"Bring me this Faizal tomorrow, then we shall see, " John said, and thus they retired for the night. As Edwin also prepared to retire, he couldn't help but notice Agnetha looking at a corner, with her mouth moving. As if staring at other faces, Agnetha looked focused, fixated on talking, as her face looked worried.

"I won't fail you..."

"Agnetha?" Edwin asked as the lady gasped all of a sudden. Her body moved away from him instinctively, despite Edwin's calm approach to her. She got up and left without words, leaving Edwin all alone. He did not even have the chance to explain to her. With this, Edwin merely sat down, sighing at himself and wondering what he did do wrong.

"Might as well just retire for tonight," Edwin thought as he got up.

As the crow signals a new day, Harold and John both went to the tavern as fast as possible. John made it clear to Edwin that he should stay behind for Agnetha. After all, he could tell merry tales to her to pass the time For Harold, knowing what kind of people mercenaries are, he did tell Faizal that he might accept him, but he knew very well not to be easily convinced.