Chapter Six

The woods of Nordlund were far more dangerous than the road. Harold did his best to not look back, as he would see Agnetha. Still deeply in anger over his uncle's decision, he would want nothing more from this. Thus, throughout the evening, he would mutter out curses that sounded like nonsense or at least cryptic messages that he deliberately hid from his uncle. 

The group settled down on their first night of the journey, knowing their energy was spent only riding. Edwin had the 'pleasure' of giving the Lady a seat at his horse. No matter to Harold or John, as they were glad that he willingly chose to let space for her. Harold finally got the last branches of wood to throw into the fire as he settled down himself.

He saw Agnetha staring at the woods without any words to spare. Her long, blonde hair hid half of her face, as Harold did not help but see a sense of beauty in her. Nevertheless, he was quick in knowing of her evil. The evil that Harold has convinced himself of over and over. His sword was only an inch away from him, specifically for her.

 John looked at both Harold and Edwin, knowing how exhausted they were. He knew it was too late to turn back now. Dozens of Western soldiers must be searching for them as of now. If they were caught, their punishment would be swift, and so will the end of their lives. Regret was hardly stating how terrible his emotions felt.

"You alright, father," Edwin's voice came from behind, almost startling him. "I am, but for how long?" John merely replied without looking back at him. A sense of shame clouded his mind. He constantly told his son how naive and weak-minded he was. It was true to him still, but he had let him down. Or at least that is what he told himself. 

"Well, we're still breathing, that counts for something, right?" Edwin said as John did not look at him. Edwin sighed deeply, seeing that his father was indifferent to his presence. As he sat down next to him, the cold air breeze was the only noise he heard. 

"Still breathing," Harold said mockingly as he kicked a rock near him. As if they will stay that way. "What did I tell you, about accepting contracts without cause," 

"How would I know nephew?" John replied. "Would you want me to refuse such a generous offer?" 

"Would you mean, refuse an offer that would make us an enemy of Westhaven?" Harold replied as he saw his uncle shaking his head at him. John did not wish to spend his moments quarrelling with him. 

As for Harold, he could still not get his eyes off her, both in fear and awe. Agnetha still didn't choose to look back at him, as if she was a statue. Perhaps, he could very well put an end to her. How strong could she possibly be? Harold thought, his hand twitching for his sword. A quick blow, to end all of this...

"Harold..."

Harold snapped out of his daydream, as Agnetha finally looked at him. He could only breathe deeply to hide his anger, as he gave a frustrated look.

"What is it," Harold asked. Agnetha then turned herself in his direction. Her face was very visible to him. In a way, he still felt a little blush just looking at her. His beard covered his jaw and his small, brown eyes were obviously much different from her. 

"You were right," Agnetha said, as Harold looked at her weirdly.  The lady tried to get closer to him, her way of trying to familiarize herself with her escort. She was probably only a few years into her adulthood, Harold thought as he saw her face.

"What do you mean?" Harold said, not seeing eye to eye with her statement.

"I did bring you trouble, and I apologize for it," Agnetha said, which only startled Harold. His anger is somehow forgotten, and yet he did not try to acquaint himself further. "So, what will you do about it?" Harold asked.