Chapter Eight

The town of Jernby was rather quite loud compared to Skoravik. Most of the men worked in the mines, which were particularly profitable to the Crown. Almost every day, hundreds of its occupants would work day and night to pluck out iron from the mines. And almost every night, carts of iron would be sent to the blacksmiths to make finer use of them.

With that, Harold could not bring himself to sleep. The constant hammering of the iron at the other side did make him mad, despite the soft pillows. It didn't help that Jernby had the highest population of a town in Nordlund, after the Great War. Still, he would take that than to live in the woods again.

He looked at the wooden walls that housed him. They were of Nordic wood, tons of them chopped so that they could be sent to Westhaven. It only made him more homesick that he was so far away from home. From his future. His western kin, and yet seen as a convict now.

'I am a convict to my people!' Harold thought.

As he thought of the future, Agnetha came into mind. He nearly forgot about her. But Edwin also comes into mind. Perhaps he could take care of her. And what, then, if they brought her to her father? Swift execution? Would they be rewarded as promised? And what, then, should that happen? 

Nevertheless,  he did drag himself out of his room after filling his mind with baseless futures. Only brought his sword with him, and even with that, he never saw much need.

Meanwhile, Edwin came out of his room to find Agnetha in the tavern. Edwin thought it was weird to see her blend so perfectly with the others. Edwin merely sat in front of her, not wanting to ruin her peace. She is wearing only a humble tunic in contrast to her elegant cloak. Hopefully, she won't seem to mind his presence. 

"You are Edwin right?" Agnetha asked. Edwin didn't necessarily take much offence. Although both Edwin and Harold did spot the same brown hair and pale skin, that is the only thing that made them look the same. Perhaps, she didn't meet many Westerners after all. Edwin was rather weak and lean in stature compared to his cousin's strong build. Something that his father has always told him.

"Yes, did I bother you?" Edwin asked.

"Of course not," Agnetha said as Edwin sat down. Being that it was the early waking hours, the tavern was slowly filling up with people. The chatter was still low enough for them to talk to each other.

"So... you have any doubts in your mind," Edwin asked as Agnetha looked rather confused. "What's there to be doubtful?" Agnetha replied. 

"You know, this whole journey," Edwin said, his voice drooling as he just woke up. "I never imagined that I would find myself escorting someone like you,"

"Really, why so?" Agnetha asked. Edwin could only clear his throat. He did not know what to follow.

"Well, escorting a Nordic princess to her father, that is something, right?" Edwin chuckled. "I couldn't imagine even if someone told me that,"

"I guess so," Agnetha said with a slight grin on her face. Edwin breathed deeply, not wanting to make himself look like a fool in front of her. 

"With that said, you know much about your country, do you?" Edwin asked, as Agnetha merely nodded in advance. "I don't travel to the woods much, but I do learn a lot about geography. Specifically, which town and outpost is placed,"

"Indeed, that means you can get us out of trouble even before it starts?" Edwin asked. Agnetha looked rather downtrodden. "Regardless, you should still be ready for any combat whatsoever," she replied. 

"You don't have any doubts about us?" Edwin asked as Agnetha's eyes lit up.

"Doubts... about you?" Agnetha replied.