Chapter Sixteen: Last Night Last

Hayley awoke with Lucas next to her. She had thought that last night was a very elaborate dream that her mind had cooked up for her to torture her a little more. So when she opened her eyes she was surprised to see Lucas lying on his back with a protective arm around her. She looked at him, he looked as if he was in a peaceful sleep. She smiled.

He knew that she was watching him. He opened his eyes slowly. He gave her a drowsy smile. 'Morning'

'Morning' Hayley smiled.

He kissed her nose. 'Must say it's good to wake up to you Hayley' 

 'It's good to wake up with you too' Hayley smiled softly, 'so did you mean what you said last night?'

'What part?' Lucas smiled.  

 'All of it, I am sorry that I am being silly but I need to know'

'I meant every word Hayley. I am not letting you go again. I did and look what happened to you'

'Why didn't you tell me that you thought I was in danger?' Hayley asked, 'Why did you make it seem that you didn't love you? Do you know how much I haven't been sleeping because I thought that you didn't trust me'

'I was trying to protect you. I thought it was the only way in which I could keep you safe. Even though Dimitri told me that I was a fool'

'You know you should listen to him sometimes. He speaks a lot of sense' Hayley said, 'Next time if something is going on in which you think I need protecting consult me will you'

'I will' Lucas nodded.

'Promise me Lucas'

'I do' Lucas took her hand, 'I can't let you go again'

'And I can't let you go either' Hayley felt a tear fall down her cheek. Lucas caught it.

'Now my baby girl, no more tears' he whispered, 'I am never going to hurt you again'

'You can't know that' Hayley looked at him her eyes still swimming with tears.

'I can promise that I will never intentionally hurt you. You I nearly lost and I don't want to do that again'

'How about we make a promise if you still want me that is? that we are honest with each other. As much as you need to be anyway. I know I cannot know everything as your work you have to work with secrecy but as long as you know I am here for you if you need me'

'I agree to those terms' Lucas nodded. 'And of course I still want you. I never stopped even when I thought you did'

'I didn't stop Lucas'

'So we are good' Lucas smiled.

'I think we will get there. I am not saying we can get to where we were right away. It's going to take some time and we would be foolish to think that we will. But I know I love you and that's not going to change' Hayley smiled, 'I am always going to care for you'

Lucas kissed the tip of her nose, 'And I will always love you'

LNLNLN

A knock on the door awoke Hayley a little while later. She looked at the clock. It would not be the estate agents yet. It would be Dimitri, he had said he would pop round today. She had forgotten to text him to say she would not need him round today.

'Who's at the door?' Lucas mumbled

'I don't know maybe Dimitri' Hayley quickly said.

'He makes house call now?'