The Great Game part 5: Blown Away

Quick warning:

Chapter contains cussing and a violent flashback. If either of these are disagreeable to your sensibilities, please abstain from reading this portion of the story or practise discretion. This has been a quick warning from your author.

"Oh, that'll be them." John said, standing.

"What?" Raoul came back into the room, followed by Sherlock and Clara, who looked prim and more professional than usual. Sherlock was carrying a camera and tripod, and Clara was carrying a black glitter gift bag, which presumably held something overly expensive. Clara's personality turned sickly sweet.

"Kenny, Darling!" She put on her most sorrowful face. "Oh, Ken, I'm so sorry-"

"Clara, dear." his tone was warm. "Thank you, thank you, do come here." They embraced, kissing each other on both cheeks.

"Ah, Mr Prince, isn't it?" Sherlock said, reaching out to shake his hand once he and Clara had finished hugging.

"Yes."

"Oh, it's very good to meet you. Ms. Evangeline has been going on about you."

"All good things, I hope." Kenny replied.

"Certainly."

"What bad stories do I have to tell about, Ken?" She teased.

"Well, there was that one day in Cannes-"

"Oh, it was Connie's fault that you got plastered. Didn't even tell you that she spikes your drink with tequila."

"Yeah speaking of, so sorry to hear about her." Sherlock interrupted.

"Yes, yes, very kind." Kenny seemed a bit annoyed with Sherlock.

"Shall we, er..." John said, motioning to Sherlock, who started to rummage through his bag. Clara held out the gift to Kenny.

"Here, love. Sorry, it's a bit short notice."

"Thank you- is this onyx?"

"Black diamond, done by my personal jeweller at Cartier. Commissioned it as soon as I heard."

"You were right. The bacteria got into her another way." John hissed to Sherlock as Clara helped Kenny put on the overly-expensive watch. Sherlock kept his ears trained on Clara.

"Oh yes?"

"Yes." John said with certainty.

"-Right, quite right, dear. We all set?" Kenny called over to Sherlock and John.

"Um, yes." Sherlock stood up, now armed with a camera and flash, and John had Clara pose with Kenny, who looked on sadly into the mirror while Clara sat in a chair in front of him, looking the other way. Sherlock began to take photographs.

"Not too close. I'm raw from crying." Kenny said with irritation as Sherlock got within inches of Kenny's face. There was a sudden meowing sound from underfoot.

"Oh, who's this?" The detective asked, looking down at the hairless cat.

"Sekhmet. Named after the Egyptian goddess." Kenny replied.

"How nice." Sherlock's tone said that he didn't think that the name was very nice at all. "Was she Connie's?"

"Oh, yes. Little present from yours truly." Kenny said as he picked up the cat and set it in Clara's lap, much to her displeasure. Cats made her sneeze.

"Sherlock? Light reading?"

"Oh!" He lifted the flash and a bright light went off in Clara's face, blinding both Clara and Kenny. "Two point eight."