| 04 |: Tomodachi

When Kazuha returned, (y/n) was quick to notice the subtle shift in his mood and decided that it would be best to leave now.

Eyes flickering back to Ayaka, (y/n) said, "Lady Ayaka. Please cease your pointless matchmaking because Thoma clearly doesn't have an interest in me." She then did a thumbs down with the brightest smile she could muster. "And frankly, I don't like him either." That's a lie, but it had to be said... Sorry Thoma. "If you wish to unite our clans, you have two options: acknowledge Aikawa Tsukuyomi as a member of your clan so that he can become my fiance, or send a marriage proposal to my younger brother and become his fiancee."

(Y/n) knew that they were both terrible choices. Ayaka can either start a controversy by giving an illegitimate child a place in her clan, or get into an arranged marriage with someone who has drinking problems.

Pick your poison, Shirasagi Himegimi.

"I..." Ayaka trailed off.

"Good chat. I had a wonderful time with you, but I think we should get going now," (y/n) said as she rose to her feet. The Cryo user opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out, so she deflated in her seat instead. It was painfully obvious that Ayaka was trying to hide her disappointment at (y/n) leaving so soon, and the latter couldn't help but feel bad when she saw the sad expression Ayaka was making. She bit her bottom lip before adding, "Next time, I'll invite you over for tea. What say you?"

The Princess of the Kamisato House immediately perked up at her words. With a joyous smile, she replied, "It'd be my pleasure, Lady (y/n)!"

(Y/n) chuckled. "Very well. I'll send an invitation to the Kamisato Estate tomorrow morning." Dipping her head in a bow, she then left the room with Kazuha trailing close behind. The moment she stepped outside of the house, she expelled a loud sigh and stretched her arms over her head. "I'm finally free! Keeping up that proper lady act was exhausting."

The rounin was silent as he followed her, and it was only when they reached the main gate did he decide to speak up.

"(Y/n)-chan."

(Y/n) jumped at the sound of his voice. Stopping in her tracks, she then spun around to face him with a hand on her chest. "Aish, you scared me with your serious tone. What's up? You were pretty quiet back there."

Kazuha hesitated to ask his question after hearing what she had said to Ayaka earlier. "When you told Lady Ayaka that you don't like Thoma, do you really mean it?"

She arched an eyebrow. "Yes? Look, I don't know why you're even asking but just keep in mind that I'm no longer infatuated with him."

"Is it because there's someone else?" he asked, making her choke on her own spit.

"No!" she answered vehemently, "Kazu, what's with you?"

He slowly exhaled through his nose and raised a hand to tuck a loose lock of hair behind her ear. "I just don't want you to get hurt. You've been through a lot when we were children and I was so ignorant towards your pain. I failed to see how much you were suffering, but that will change from now on." Reaching for her hands, he held them gently before bringing them against his chest. "You trust me, don't you?"

(Y/n) was beyond flustered at his words and actions. How is he able to say all that with such sincere eyes?

'I can't take his cheesiness,' she thought, quickly pulling her hands away from his - but Kazuha chased after them and ended up pulling her closer to him. His bold move made her scream internally.

Kazuha, please-

"Yeah, I trust you. I mean, you're always there for me," she replied, smiling whilst shoving down her embarrassment. An expression of relief washed over his countenance, and he tightened his grip on her hands.