| 09 |: Compromise

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄 : If you'd like to learn more about Tsukuyomi (his canonverse version), the link to his profile is in the comments section of this paragraph.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

Gorou's expression scrunched up slightly after (y/n) disclosed her name to him, and that was when she knew she screwed up. As nervousness overtook her, she began stammering incoherently in a futile attempt to cover up her minor mistake. However, his attention didn't shift from her surname at all, and he cupped his chin with a pensive look.

"Onigasaki... I feel like I've heard that name from somewhere," mused Gorou. He sifted through his memories for the missing puzzle piece, and when he was finally able to recall where he knew the Onigasaki name from, his face lit up with recognition. "Oh! Isn't that the clan known for its military power in Narukami? It's because of the Tenka Senshi that the Onigasaki is able to maintain a neutral position in Inazuma."

(Y/n) blinked in surprise. "You... haven't heard of the rumours?" Although she did expect Gorou to be aware of the Onigasaki's reputation, she would have thought that he'd also know of the nasty rumours regarding her as Onigasaki's Witch.

"What rumours?" he asked, cocking his head slightly to one side.

At first, (y/n) was puzzled; rumours, especially those about the well-known figures, always spread like wildfire among the populace. It was only when she remembered that Gorou is from Watatsumi and not Narukami did she realise he would have no way of knowing anything about the villainess unless somebody told him about her or he was introduced to her directly.

"It's nothing. I must have been mistaken," she replied, scratching the lower part of her cheek with forced laughter, "By the way, you're not from around here, are you? The way you dress indicates that you're from Watatsumi."

Gorou stiffened at her question before relaxing after a moment or two. "Yes, I'm not from Narukami. I was collecting seagrasses along the coastlines." As if to prove his words, he tilted his head towards the brown jute bag beside him, which (y/n) didn't notice before. "We're running low on resources in the army, especially wolfhooks, and a soldier suggested using seagrasses as replacement until we're able to resupply."

"I see... It must be hard."

"That's life, isn't it? As long as we have each other though, I'm sure we can make it through any storms that threaten to wreak havoc." Rising to his feet, he then slung the bag over his shoulder and dipped his head in a slight bow. "I'll get going now. Sorry to have taken up most of your time with my idle chatter, miss."

With a nonchalant wave, (y/n) said, "Don't worry about it. I quite enjoyed our conversation. I hope our paths will cross again someday in the future."

After sending a smile her way, Gorou turned around to leave and once he had disappeared from sight, (y/n) stood up whilst brushing the sand off her clothes.

"As long as you have each other, huh..." she mumbled to herself, "It's a shame that all the people who the villainess could trust weren't there when she needed them the most."

How lonely and hurt the villainess must have been, trying to survive on her own; she couldn't even sleep peacefully at night in fear that somebody would come to assassinate her in her sleep.

(Y/n) raised her gaze to the night sky as a soft sigh slipped past her lips.

The villainess never asked for much. She only desired a peaceful life where she could watch Yuito grow up like a normal child, and even when her body was slowly breaking down from the inside, she persevered and tried her hardest to protect her younger brother as the villainess, the role that was assigned to her by the people around her. Living her life as the villainess was the only way for her to survive as a result of the blame she was forced to take for Tatsuya; she was living with the Sword of Damocles hanging above her head, and one wrong move will sever the horsehair suspending it which will lead to her early death. If she died, there would be no one to shield Yuito from political turmoil. She was trying to save somebody from his demise, yet nobody came to save her from her misery.