Chapter 7

Illusion Casino and Resort

Las Vegas, California

May 7

0030 hours

I was woken far too early, by the sound of something flailing about. I sleepily opened my eyes, vision blurry. I sat up and slowly got out of bed. Walking forward, looking for the source of the noise, I nearly tripped it due to the nearly nonexistent light. I stumbled backward and hit the light switch. I looked down and saw Erica on the ground, thrashing in her sleep, muttering things like, "No," and "Joshua!"

I knelt by Erica and shook her awake.

"Erica," I whispered into her ear. "Wake up!"

She shot straight up so fast I was barely able to get out of the way. She looked around wildly before her eyes fell upon me.

"Wha...?! What's happening?" She exclaimed, confused.

I grabbed her shoulders to steady her.

"E, hey," I said. "It's me, okay? It's me."

She locked eyes with me, and we both sat there.

"Erica?" I asked. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," She replied. "It's just, I have nightmares, sometimes. They don't go away."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I questioned, after a small pause.

"Because it's me, you know?"

"Okay," I said. "We're switching."

Before she could react, I picked her up, bridal style, and placed her on the bed.

"Wha-no!" She protested.

I ignored her and tucked her in like she was six. She didn't attempt to resist me, which I found surprising. I started to walk over to the pile of blankets when Erica spoke.

"Ben wait," She said. I looked back at her to see her blushing profusely. "Can you stay? I don't feel comfortable by myself right now."

"Uh-sure," I said, turning red myself.

I walked over to the bed, lying down next to her, on top of the blanket. The entire time, I was freaking out internally, considering the fact that I was in the same bed as Erica Hale. After about I minute went by, I became aware that Erica's hand was in mine. I smiled to myself and slowly drifted off to sleep.