Chapter 10

City streets

Las Vegas, California

May 7

0800 hours

We finished packing the car up, and hit the road. Once we were a good bit away from the Resort, Erica started talking.

"Ben, I understand that everyone makes mistakes, even me. But we've lost the element of surprise thanks to that mistake."

I grimaced. I knew how much of a screw up I'd been. Surprisingly, she barely talked about the mistake.

"So, are we going to talk about what happened this morning?"

"Uh... the thing with the fake staff member? I mean if you want to I gue-"

"Not that," She interrupted. "Before that."

"Oh that," I said, red. "What do you want to talk about it?"

"Is there just going to be this thing between us, or are we going to acknowledge it?"

"I would be fine with acknowledging it," I said. "Under one condition."

"And what's that?" Erica asked me.

"I'm going to ask you a question, and I want you to be completely straight with me."

She considered this for a while. "Deal."

"Do you like me, the way I like you?" I asked hopefully. "No, 'It's complicated' I want an honest answer."

Erica bit her lip. After what felt like an eternity, she spoke.

"Yes."

And just like that, I felt like I was complete. Erica Hale liked me, and she had admitted it.

"Do you think either of us is ready for a relationship?"

This was an extra question, and was steering into dangerous waters, but I couldn't resist.

"Hey," She complained. "That's two questions!"

I gave her my best Begging Puppy look. She sighed. "Fine"

She looked thoughtful again.

"I think we are," She finally answered.

"Yes!" I exclaimed, failing miserably to hide my excitement. "You finally came around girlfriend."

She groaned. "Please, never call me that, ever!" I laughed. She smiled.

Despite the happy moment, I couldn't help think about the task ahead. No matter how many missions I succeeded in, the next could always be the last. I shrugged the though off. I had Erica, and nothing was going to change that.

For pretty much the first time, I felt very optimistic about this mission. I knew nothing would go wrong. Hell, was I wrong.