The Walk

Jack held his hand out with a soft smile. Ralph nodded and stood, grabbing it and standing. "O-Of course. Let me change first." He went to his room and put on some shorts with a short sleeved button up, and his shoes. He stood at the door where Jack opened it for him. And thus, they began their walk. The first few minutes were silent, the sky a mix of pink and orange that was fading into purple. Jack thought about what to say, as he wasn't amazing at 'mushy' things. "So, Ralph." He started. He paused after a moment, weary of himself. He felt a hand slip into his, and the fair boy looking at the ground. Jack held his hand back and continued walking.

"The island. Do you remember when you first blew the conch? And you and I smiled at each other? Well, I haven't forgotten. Nobody had ever smiled at me so warmly, so glaringly. I'll be honest, my heart may have skipped a beat or two." He thought of what to say, stopping. "I..I'm not good at this." He chuckled, embarrassed, rubbing the back of his neck. "I..Can't..Look, the island changed us all. Simon, Piggy, Maurice, everybody became savage in their own right. When the split happened I assumed I'd never be able to get you. And besides, there? We'd get stoned to death." He looked down at Ralph, his mind foggy. "I never meant to harm you. I never meant to scare you. I acted like I hated you but the truth is? That couldn't be further from the truth. I uhm.." He inhaled shakily.

He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. "I...Rather enjoy your company, Ralph. I wouldn't want you dead. You're all I have anymore. I would be dead if you and I weren't standing here right now. Castle Rock- I was so desperate for you to join us. I wanted to have you on my side. I-I..I wanted you, Ralph." His voice trembled with his last sentence, his eyes seemed to gleam. "I..Uhm.." His voice trembled even more. Ralph squeezed his hand. "Go ahead." A tear rolled down Jack's face- Something neither of them were expecting. "I-I need you, Ralph. I wasn't happy until I met you. Before the island went to bloody hell, you were on my mind. H-Hunting was nice but you- you were nicer. I-I looked up to you and I-I completely failed a-and-!"

Jack began to cry. Ralph froze, in shock. He didn't even know Jack was capable of such a thing. Jack sat on a stone that was behind him, crying into his hands. "I-I'm so sor-sorry Ralph! Y-You- You must hate me- I-I killed everyone a-and hurt you and I-I've-" He felt a finger on his lips, causing him to hush. He continued crying without speaking. Ralph embraced him, hugging him as tight as he could. Jack hugged him back, resting his head on his shoulder. He continued to cry for a bit before calming down. Ralph pulled away slowly, Jack did as well. He put his hand in Jack's, rubbing it a bit. "I can't say I completely forgive you." He started. Jack nodded understandingly. "But, I understand the island had been maddening. And while I certainty can fault you for a few things, I think..You're trying to be better now."

Jack smiled a bit, feeling better that Ralph was being understanding. "I'm not sure where I stand with..You and I. I'll be honest, I'm a bit ashamed of myself." He hushed and looked down. Jack lifted the boy's chin. "Ashamed of what? That you like me- Or what I do? No, that isn't anything to be ashamed of, darling. You can't change something like that, and while others might not see it that way? You and I know it, alright?" He rubbed the boy's cheek tenderly. Ralph nodded a bit. "I-I suppose so." Jack continued rubbing his cheek with one hand. "We live alone now. The officer said so, we don't need to do anything anymore. We can make whatever we want of this life!" He said cheerily. Ralph chuckled. "Mhm." Jack glanced around, then looked back at Ralph.

"I shouldn't lie; I looked through your journal." He quickly followed up. "I didn't- I was curious- And I just...Well, the mountain, when you asked why I hated you. Do you want the answer?" Ralph nodded slowly, unsure if he was angry or not. Jack ran his hand through his messy hair. "Well, I hated you because I was scared. I hated you because I was jealous. I hated you because I wanted you. I hated that I wanted you, if that makes any sense. I..I hated how I couldn't be with you. I wanted to sleep every night, holding you to my chest, playing with your hair. That's all I wanted. And of course, I was supposed to be a hunter. Tough, ruthless. But, not for you. You made me feel weak when you were near- I just, I don't know. I hated what I was, what I wanted, that I wanted you, and I couldn't have you."

Ralph nodded and hugged him again, a bit tighter. The sky was a dark purple now, the sun still peeking from the horizon. "I wanted you too. I'm brave with people, not the brave you were. Since I figured you hated me, I never tried anything. Piggy was was a distraction, Simon, Samneric- I cared for them all so you weren't on my mind. Come bed time, it didn't help much." He chuckled slightly. "But in any case, in the waking hours, they helped." Jack looked at Ralph, a smile spread on his face. "So you do like me?" Ralph, after a long pause, nodded. "I..I suppose I do." Jack felt great inside now, the dread that infested him before the walk had been washed away
.

Jack picked him up and sat him on his lap, the boy facing his chest. "Darling?" He asked. "Y-Yes?" Ralph replied. Jack moved the hair out of his face and kissed his forehead. Ralph flushed a deep red, unable to fathom the feeling in my stomach. He giggled dumbly. "Aww!" Jack giddily exclaimed. He hugged Ralph, a huge smile on his face. He had a knot in his stomach now, the first time he'd experienced it to this intensity. An idea popped into his head as he slowly pulled away from Ralph. "Ralph?" "Yes?"

"...Could I kiss you?"