Genesis: 9

Once again, Genesis found herself in front of a mirror. This time it was the full length mirror on the back of her bedroom door. She taken out her piercings, had no traces of make up, let her jet black hair hang down straight and observed the girl in mirror wearing a feminine creme pant suit.

The suit was nice, but she felt uncomfortable and her breasts looked huge. She hated being well endowed. If she had the money she would happily get a reduction to a B cup, maybe even an A cup. As it was, she was a medium D and they made her look more curvy. One of the few times she allowed Kate to take her shopping she'd picked the outfit claiming a girl could never have enough professional clothes. She had been right, but it didn't make Gen like it any more.

With a sigh Gen turned from the mirror and headed toward her dads room. She found him sprawled across his bed on his stomach in his underwear. She touched his clammy shoulder and gave it a shake while calling him. He grunted and turned his head, wiping a trail of drool as he did. She shook harder and spoke louder.

"Hmm?" He actually lifted his head and opened his eyes. It took him a few tries before he was able to focus on her. "Blaire?:" He slurred, mistaking her for her mom.

"It's Gen. Just wanted to let you know that Des left for school and I'm heading out. I shouldn't be gone long."

"Pick me up a bottle of Jack on your way back in."

Genesis frowned as she backed toward the door. "I'm can't buy liquor Dad. Not twenty-one yet remember."

"You look like your mother." He commented as he slowly rolled over and sat up.

"Thanks. If I get the job I'm gonna take Des out for dinner. Want to come?" She offered as she stopped by the door.

"Sounds good." He tried for a smile and failed.

Gen left. She knew that when she returned her father would be passed out again. Family outings in her house were few and far between.

*~*~*

Gen sat in her 1996 Volvo station wagon and stared at the steering wheel. Her interview was over and she hadn't gotten the job.

Her interviewer was so taken with her and impressed with her interviewing skills that she changed the job offer from Assistant Manager to just Manager. This was a good thing. Right? She felt so confused because she knew this was what her family needed to maintain, but she didn't want to do it.

She was so tired of taking on responsibilities.

"I'm going to be grateful and count my blessings." Gen took a deep breath and started the car.

She pulled up to her house a short time later. She'd barely gotten out of her car when her cell rang. "Hey Kate."

"Hi, sweetie. I'm guessing the interview is over or you wouldn't have answered. I couldn't wait! I just have this really good feeling. So how did it go?"

Hearing the other woman's excitement put a smile on Gen's face. "I didn't get the Assistant Manager's job."

"What?" Kate sputtered in disbelief. "I just knew you were going to ace that interview and come home with good news." Gen could hear the pout in her voice.

"I did ace it and because of that I was offered the position of shift Manager instead." Gen had to remove the phone from her ear as she entered the house due to Kate's squeal of happiness.

"That is amazing! I'm almost finished placing the order for this school then I'll swing by for a bit to congratulate you!" Kate was a nutritionist for the Board of Education.

Gen knew trying to dissuade the woman would be of no use so she agreed and disconnected the call. Once inside, she'd decided to go check on her dad. He was no where to be found. It wasn't even noon and she was certain that he was sitting in some hole in the wall bar some where getting his drink on. So much for that family dinner.

Gen tried not to feel sorry for him, but she couldn't help but to remember how difficult things had been for him after her mother died. It wasn't easy planning a funeral and bringing home a newborn baby in the same week.

Gen herself had just been a young kid trying to wrap her mind around the fact that her mother was never coming home. She shook her head, trying to dislodge herself from the path that her thoughts were traveling down. Wouldn't do anyone any good.

She shrugged out of the stupid suit, put on something comfortable and flopped down on her bed. She pulled her laptop towards her from the foot of her bed and turned it on. After a few short minutes she was logged into one of her favorite chatrooms.

This was her first day off in almost two weeks and since she agreed to start her new job immediately, it appeared it would also be her only day off for a long while. It wasn't long before she heard Kate come in downstairs and call for her.

"Up here!" Gen yelled.

Kate's heels clicked up the stairs and towards her room until she was standing in Gen's doorway with a bouquet of flowers. "Congrats!"

"Awww, Gardenias! You really didn't have to." Gen told her as she got up to accept the arrangement, bringing them to her nocse for a sniff.

"I know, but I wanted to. "

"I should put these in water before they start to wilt." Gen headed towards the kitchen for her mothers crystal vase. She couldn't remember the last time some one gave her flowers.

Kate followed her downstairs. "So when do you start your new job?"

"Monday." Gen's cell rang as they entered the kitchen. The caller ID displayed Bailey, a friend of hers since middle school. She held up a finger to Kate as she answer the call. "Hey."

"Hey! Long time no hear!" Bailey stated.

"Yeah, I know. Sorry about that. Been kinda busy lately." She hadn't seen or spoken to any of her friends in almost two months.

"I figured, but I miss my girl."

"I miss you too."

"Listen, Jaden is throwing a party tonight and I was wondering if you were able to come."

Gen frowned. "A party?"

"Yep. For his twenty-first birthday. So are you free?"

"I can't. Des has school in the morning, plus I have to take inventory this weekend and finish up some reports." Gen found the vase and took it to the sink to fill with water as Kate took a seat at the table listening to her side of the conversation.

"Come on! We haven't hung out in like forever! It's just one party. You don't even have to stay long."

"I wish I could, but I just got hired at Macy's as well and I want to take Des out for dinner to celebrate tonight."

"That's awesome, but that means you'll be working two jobs. Now I'll never see you." Bailey complained.

"I know. I'm sorry, but these bills are kicking my ass. I have to do it. How about I call you on my next available day off and we can chill." Gen offered, feeling guilty.

Bailey sighed loudly in her ear. "Okay, but you better call me."

"I will." Gen promised before they ended the call.

"A party huh?" Kate commented as Gen searched for scissors to trim the stems.

"Yeah. A friend of ours is throwing himself a birthday party tonight."

"So why don't you go? I don't mind if Des spends the night."

Gen gave a sad smile. "Thanks, but I'll pass. Des is my responsibility and now that I have this second job my time with her is going to be scarce. I want to spend as much time with her as possible."

Kate frowned, but didn't argue with her. "Alright, but if you change your mind you know where to find me."