27: A Party Without Cheetos

It was a beautiful day, probably the finest since Richard and Garth had taken up residence on the Beyma. They had been there for a few weeks by now, far longer than they could have imagined staying.

They'd spent the time working tirelessly on the solar cells and crafting them into panels that could be mounted on the Beyma's exterior. Their work wasn't completely crisp and professional, because everything they created was crafted by hand using the tools they had available to them, not in an industrial complex built specifically for the purpose. However, everything was functional. As they had completed the cells, Richard had tested them carefully, ensuring that each one was capable of generating power. Meanwhile, Garth had designed the panels themselves using careful measurements to ensure that they would fit neatly to the exterior of the ship.

Now, they stood outside, enjoying the sunshine and the breeze. The wind rustled the leaves of the corn, making it sound like it was raining, but the sky was brilliantly blue and the sun shone down on them as if offering them good fortune. The panels were being installed by Ol-Maran and Pey-Daika. The Karra were uniquely capable of such work, owing to their agility and flexibility, which enabled them to scale the egg-shaped vessel with the use of sparse handholds, their arms flexing and lengthening as needed to position the panels and affix them to the ship.

"Is that the last of them?" Garth asked.

"It is the last of the solar panels," said Aialo-El. They were carrying the panel in question from the ship with Dr. Das. The two took the panel to the side of the ship, where they placed it on a platform that Pey-Daika and Ol-Maran could raise via pulleys to where they were doing the installation. This work had been going on throughout the day with the Karra periodically swapping places with others; they were sensitive to temperatures, and although it was a mild Iowan summer day, the direct sunlight was too much for them to bear for long.

"We know the cells work," said Richard. "And we know that they can interface with the ship. It's just going to be a matter of making sure all of them are operational and letting them charge."

"You sound nervous," said Dr. Das, wiping her hands on her slacks as she joined Richard and Garth where they stood watching the proceedings.

Richard glanced at her, folding his arms. "I'm not nervous."

"Yeah, but you sound a little nervous." She quirked a brow at him, smiling with good humor.

"Okay, well...Who wouldn't be a bit nervous?"

"Not me." She folded her arms, too, lifting her chin as she watched the Karra affix the final solar panel to the outside of the ship. "I'm not a bit nervous. This is going to work flawlessly, and soon enough, the Karra are going to be airborn."

"Do you think they'll let us come into space with them?" asked Garth.

"Unlikely," said Dr. Das. "What are you going to do in space, Garth?"

"Um, obviously walk on moons and stuff?"

She chuckled. "Alright, boys. It'll be a while before they can fire everything up. They've got the panels on, but there's a lot to be done to interface them with the ship."

"I can't climb the outside of a spaceship because I'm about as athletic as a rubber duck, but I think I can help with that bit," said Richard. "

"Then let's go." Dr. Das clapped her hands and led the way toward the ship.

***

A little later, the humans milled around the crop circle with their Karran friends. Richard had always had the impression that food on a spaceship or space station would be rather bland and repetitive, but though Garth poked gentle fun at the constant presence of the aliens' answer to bread, the other elements of their meals were varied and flavorful. Even today, when the meal was being served outside, there were fruits Richard hadn't yet tasted and a delicious stew-like dish.