Chapter 5

I stood there staring at him, too shocked to move. While he too kept on staring, mirroring my shocked expression.

''What are you doing here?'' I asked my shocked phase passing and confusion took its place.

He answered by glaring his eyes at me.

Typical.

I rolled my eyes,'' don't you go narrowing your eyes at me. Just please answer my question.''

''I live here.''

My eyes shot to the house behind him. His home was a one floored house which looked really old and the front yard was littered with beer bottles and other rubbish. Overall, his home did not look homely at all.

Sympathy for him flooded through me as I looked back at him, only to find him staring back at me, masked with a blank expression.

Trying not to show him the pityness I'm feeling towards him I continued,'' Then watcha doing out here?''

He groaned. Standing up and started walking away not even bothering to reply.

''Hey,'' I grabbed his hand intending to stop him but he flinched and quickly pulled his arm away. I stared at him bewildered. Why did he flinch? I didn't even get the chance to grab him tightly.

''Sorry. I did not mean to hurt you'', I speedily apologised even though I wasn't at fault.

'' Just leave me alone'', his voice was filled with different emotions altogether: anger, sadness, fear.

''But I want us to be friends''

''Go home.''

''I am''. I retorted. He glanced at me from the corner of his eyes but remained quiet.

We walked in silence. He lost in his own thoughts while my mind kept on asking questions that I don't think will be answered when asked out loud. The way he reacted when I grabbed his arm was what mostly worried me. What happened to him that makes him flinch that badly?

Just the thought of it sent chills down my spine. Anything could have happened to him especially with a nonsafe household he lives in.

As we reached my house, I turned to Adrian. '' Thanks for accompanying me to my house.'' I paused searching for any signs of 'you're welcome' on his face.

Nothing.

He kept his face blank just staring at me. You know with the way he keeps on staring at my face every time we confront each other; seriously made me think I have something wrong on it.

I sighed really getting impatient. That's when I realised something I turned to home brightly '' you know, I succeeded in getting you to talk. Which I gotta admit took harder with you than normal people. And I'll also succeed in becoming your bestest friend''

I beamed at him.

'' Just you wait Adrian Wright.''