one

"hold the sword a little higher, come on, i've showed you this a dozen of times." lucas held on the heavy, metallic weapon to demonstrate it again. "your stance, michael. put pressure on the back of your legs."

mike loudly sighed before copying the actions. "you know that you're the only person in this country who can command the prince around without facing consequences, right?"

"oh, i'm very much aware." his martial arts instructor laughed, "that's why i'm using my power at its fullest, your majesty. now come on, three more rounds of running!"

a groan nearly fell past the prince's lips, he slightly threw his head back. "come on, i've been training for the whole day. look at how sticky and sweaty i am." he pointed at himself with a pout on his lips. "and i'm already good enough at what i'm doing."

he was tired for as much as he couldn't admit that in his position. he didn't even understand why he needed to give hours of his time into practicing.

lucas disapprovingly shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. "i'm sure the king would approve of you whining like a little child about topics you need to give your fullest to."

oh, the 'father'-card. lucas surely loved bringing it up to guilt-trip him into doing everything. the king wouldn't want a whiny prince to take the throne over later, right?

"don't argue with me, majesty." he patted him gently on the shoulder. "you can't back away from a battle that's in full force either. so, three more rounds and i'll let you go this time. go!"

a silent groan fell past his lips as the prince started to slowly pick up his pace and ran across the big training yard where probably an entire new, small village could be built on.

it took him about half an hour to run those three rounds until he was right back at the start again and gave lucas a small nod before disappearing back into the castle.

his muscles clenched and stung and he wanted nothing more than being in the comfort of his room right now.

that's how his life was, though. his schedule was filled with topics that his father viewed as important. sometimes his own life as royalty felt monotone with the constant repeating of the same things everyday.

the only times things were out of the ordinary was when he could leave the castle to visit other kingdoms or when his family (as much as he dreaded them) threw masquerade balls in their palace.

at least that brought bits of excitement to his day.

he was lucky that he had such a friendly relationship with his martial arts instructor though. because more than just being someone who teaches him, lucas was a friend who's honest and straightforward.

people usually stand on their tippy toes around him, carefully choose the words that they want to say because they are in the presence of a royal family member but lucas? he can call him out without any remorse.

he likes that. he likes it when people see past his title as a prince -- which doesn't occur very often.

"good afternoon, prince michael." the workers of the castle bowed their heads and bent their knees when they saw him passing through the hallways.

"good afternoon." he politely smiled back at them and slightly nodded his head forward. "have a pleasant day, thank you for keeping this place in tact."

the king rarely showed appreciation towards the people that worked here, most of them were used to the cold treatment they got. but mike liked to show them appreciation, he knows how hard they work.

how hard she works.

the thought of her alone was enough to spread a subtle smile over his face. his tracks sped up -- not fast enough to seem inappropriate for a prince, but to reach his room quicker.