Chapter 2: The Acquaintance

Mario and Meggy stood before a familiar looking face as they turned a corner. Their faces turned from shock to annoyance when they realized who is was. Desti.

Desti: Ugh, you two?

Meggy: *annoyed*...Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. Can we please go?

Mario: Yeah, Mario wants his spaghetti, so please, move aside.

Desti: Oh, let me think about it...hmm...Nah. I don't feel like it.

Mario pulls out the same golf club he had used to smack Meggy's Bazooka shot back. It was covered in orange paint still and was starting to dry.

Mario: I said move aside or Mario's gonna do something very illegal.

Desti: *sarcastically* Oh no, I'm so scared.

She lets out a half sigh, half scoff.

Desti: Come on you two, why keep training for splatfest when there's no point in competing in the splatfest when you've failed the past years' tournaments? I mean, you two are jokes.

Meggy: Get lost, Desti. No one wants to hear your degrading words!

Desti: Like I said: No.

Meggy: Don't make me force you to.

Meggy pulls out her Splattershot and aims it directly at her.

Desti curses to herself.

Desti: Fine, but don't expect me to go easy on you again next time.

Meggy: *mutters* If there even is a next time.

Desti: Hey! Shut up!

Meggy: Go! Get lost!

She shoots at the ground by her feet and she just stands there unfazed. She then starts to walk forward and holds her hands out in a mocking surrender. As she walked past, she stopped suddenly next to Mario, pushing Meggy out of the way.

Desti: You know, it wouldn't hurt to ask you to join my team again, Mayo.

Meggy: I said get lost Desti! And Mario will remain on Splatsquad! You're not convincing him otherwise!

Mario: Yeah! I'm staying on team orange! Not team purple! Purple sucks a*s anyways!

Desti rushes past them pushing down Meggy as she does. Meggy lands on the ground with a thud and Mario stumbles a bit as he regains balance. He turned towards Desti running off with a look of anger, then turns to help Meggy off the ground who had a bruise on her knee from the fall.

Mario: Meggy! Are you okay?

Meggy: Yeah, I'm fine. Let's just get out of here before we run into the rest of the Octoposse. We can deal with her, but probably not the rest of em.

Mario: So does that means spaghetti?

Meggy: *laughs* Yes, Mario, that means spaghetti.

Mario: Hell yeah! Let's-a-go!

Within twenty minutes, Meggy had found a place where they served pasta because she knew she would never hear the end of it if she brought Mario to a place without spaghetti or pasta. Mario sits slurping down two plates of spaghetti as Meggy sits opposite of him with a plate of salad and tea.
Mario feels like he should stop for a second and look up. He follows that gut feeling and looks up to see Meggy seeming to pick at her food with her fork. She had clearly started to eat it, but something was now on her mind.

Mario: *thoughts* I should probably ask what's wrong. No wait. That would be a bad idea, I've already caused enough for her today. No, yes, no. Ah Screw it. Here goes nothing.
*speaking* Uh, Meggy? Are you alright?