Chapter 2: The awakening of ancient magic

I started to wake up halfway through the transplant process. At first I couldn't feel any pain, but as the doctor put the arm on me it felt like my skin cells were on fire. I screamed loud and long. When the doctor realised that I was awake he apologized and promised the pain would be gone soon. He shoved the arm on again, but this time instead of attaching it flew back off hitting the wall, and a faint blue aura filled the space where my arm was. It slowly grew brighter and my arm started to tingle, but not an awkward tingle. More like a soft tingle, like the one you feel when you're a child in your mothers arms as she slowly rocks you slowly singing. It felt like everything was ok, it felt safe and full of love. When I snapped back to reality, my arm was back.

"How is this possible?" I thought as I looked around noticing my old arm laying on the ground. Then it dawned on me. I was a mage. Panic overtook me as I realised that me being a mage would put me in so much trouble. I felt the color drain from my face as I realised I showed I was a mage in a hospital. I took off running. Passing the doctor as he was on the phone. The last thing I heard before I made it out the door was, "STOP THAT ILLEGAL MAGE." I had forgotten then being a mage was illegal, and punishable by death. I also forgot the price for turning in a mage was equal to 5 years worth of a doctor's salary. After the door closed behind me, I knew what I had to do. I had to go into hiding. I needed to escape.

✱✱✱✱✱

"We have a mage here, but it's a little weird."

"What do you mean a little weird?"

"His ability is unheard of. I've seen so many mages, but never with his ability."

"Oh really. What's his ability?"

"Regeneration. I cut off his arm for a prosthetic transplant, but not only did his body reject the arm. It launched it across the room. I went to grab it, and when I turned back I noticed it. His arm was growing back. Within 10 seconds he regrew from the elbow down."

"A mage with regeneration.... I must have that mage. I can exempt him from the execution, but he must work under me for the military. Bring him to me. I want him alive by the end of the week. If he refuses I want his head on a silver platter. You may use any means possible."

"Yes.... my king. I'll try my best."

"And doctor,"

"Yes my lord?" At that moment the patient came running down the hall and out the door. His sudden rush left everyone stunned, and I managed to yell at the last second, "STOP THAT ILLEGAL MAGE!!"

"What do you mean stop the mage?"

"I'm sorry my lord. It seems the mage escaped...."

"ESCAPED!?! WELL GO GET HIM!"

"Yes my lord. I'll get him right away." With that I hung up and took off after him. Chasing him down the street despite him yelling at me.

✱✱✱✱✱

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I yelled at the doctor, "YOU'VE BEEN CHASING ME FOR THE PAST 5 MINUTES."

"NO THE KING DEMANDS YOU COME WITH ME!"

"NO I WON'T I DON'T WANT TO BE KILLED!"

"THE KINGS NOT GOING TO KILL YOU!"

"DON'T LIE TO ME. EVERY MAGE IS KILLED."

"THE KING REQUESTED THAT YOU BE ADDED TO HIS ARMY." The Doctor panted clearly not used to running for so long.

"LIES LEAVE ME ALONE." I yelled and took off sprinting at full speed running into the forest, Leaving the doctor behind.