Chapter 7: The end is just the beginning

I woke up in an old wooden box barely big enough to fit in. I reached up to touch my throat and my hand came away sticky with my blood. This is becoming all too common, I thought. I reached up and drew a small dragon head on the box with my blood. It glowed a faint dark red. I waited until I couldn't sense anyone, and activated it. It grew brighter, engraving itself deep in the wood. I remembered what Aerolic had told me. If I need him, I need to release mana in a small thread. If I was in danger, make the symbol of blood and he'd be there as fast as possible. A few seconds after the symbol grew dull I heard the sounds of digging above me.I started to move and try to break out of the coffin. Then I noticed it wasnt shovels digging me up. It sounded like a large animal. I waited a few moments and a claw ripped through the coffin like butter. I looked up into Aerolic's green eyes and was surprised. His usual emotionless eyes had a glimmer of worry and happiness. I'm guessing he's glad I'm safe. I reached out and touched his claw pulling myself upright. As I stood up, the warm feeling came rushing in again. When I reached up to touch my neck again, the wound was gone.

✱✱✱✱✱

I woke up the next morning and couldn't find my master. I lifted my head up and looked around, but couldn't see him. I got up and searched the area. Still nothing. I panicked. I flew into the sky and searched the forest. Every moment I couldn't find him, my worry grew. I was about to start yelling for him when I sensed it. A small magical tug on my mind. I followed it. It brung my out of the forest and up next to the hospital, but it didn't bring me in, no it took me around back. That's when I saw it. A small deep red dragon symbol. I dug into the dirt, slowly at first, then steadily picking up pace. I felt relief rush over me as my claw broke through the wood. I ripped it open and looked down. There, laying in the coffin, was my master. He reached his hand out to my claw, hoisting himself out of the coffin. I was so glad he was ok. I almost hugged him. "Come," I said, "there is a lot left for us to do." With his nod we walked away. The sun, hot on our backs. It was a relief when we made it back to the forest. I set up magic defences and continued to train him in all the ways he needed to learn the ancient magic of the forest king.

✱✱✱✱✱

I walked outside to check the yard, but one of the nurses had reported strange noises out there last night. I came around the corner and was shocked to see the grave had been dug up and the body went missing, but that wasn't all. There were footprints walking away from the grave. I turned and ran back into the hospital dialing the king's number before even getting the phone to my ear.

"What do you want this time doctor?"

"My king, the body was gone. What's more, there were footprints leaving the grave."

"Are you suggesting that someone stole a body, doctor?"

"No, I'm suggesting that the boy never died."

"WHAT! Stay where you are, I'm on my way over now." With that he hung up.

✱✱✱✱✱

"The seal of peace?" I asked, completely mystified.

"Yes, it's a very powerful magic, but it stops all fighting within the range your mana can reach. It calms people down."

"So basically a spell of calm?"

"Yes, why don't you try it on the squirrels over there."

"I would but you never told me how."

"Close your eyes and spread your mana as far as you wish and repeat after me."

"Ok I will." I walked over to a rock and closed my eyes listening to what Aerolic said. Arelic began to say the words to a song I never heard, but I know by heart. I was so surprised my eyes flew open. I cut him off saying the words softly and singing them instead of saying. Nothing felt different so I closed my eyes and felt the magic around me start to react. It started swaying and mimicking my voice, but it didn't sound right. I adjusted my voice and the waves started working in perfect harmony. Some sounded like the calming sound of waves crashing against the sand, others like birds flying in the sky. There was a comforting noise for everything in the forest. I felt at peace as the whole forest seemed to calm down. I opened my eyes and Aerolic, for a split second before regaining himself, was crying.